Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS problem... maybe.

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
OS is W7 Pro.
PC is HP DC5750S.

Installed an ATI Radeon HD2400 XT.
Went into BIOS and enabled the card.
Card does not show up in Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Display Adapters.
The on board ATI Radeon Xpress Series is there.

Went back into BIOS and the PCI video was 'Disabled' even though I set it and saved it.
This has happened 4 times now. I set it; save it. Go back into BIOS and its changed back to disabled.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Don

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It's possible it's resetting back to disable because it's not recognizing the video card. Do you have another card you can try or borrow? Does the same thing happen?

Also, try reseating the card several times in and out of it's slot. Connectors become corroded over time if not used, so "scratch them up" a little by reinserting the card a few times.

Any luck?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi dlw and Posted Image

Go to the link below and follow the instructions.

If your new card does not function correctly, go back to the same page and select the How To on the right, How to disable Intel Onboard after installing ATI Radeon PCI-E.

http://www.ehow.com/...able-intel.html

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I believe the onboard card is an ATI Xpress Series, not an Intel.
That's what Device Manager shows and also in 'Personalize'.
The card I installed is an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT.
I will also try to reset the card.

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
No go.
Removed and replaced the card three times.
Set the BIOS to enable again and did not work.
Set the BIOS again and once again it did not work.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The card is still enabled in device manager.

Try the steps in the tutorial, then disable the onboard video in the BIOS.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks like you only have a 250w PSU. If the new card requires a power cable, the PSU may need upgrading.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The 2400XT is an old card. Have you confirmed it actually works by testing it in another PC?

dlw

dlw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Okay, found out the slot for the pci card was disabled.
Changed the setting and the sys found the card and it works.
Problem, the other monitors (2) connected to the onboard card do not work.
Only the one monitor on the pci card works.
I need all three working.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
This is only from reading on posted solutions.

Providing you use an ATI card, it should work. You must only use one driver for both cards, using different drivers causes conflicts. Which driver to use is unclear.
In the BOIS, enable the onboard graphics to be the primary video, (connected to 2 monitors, 1 monitor cannected to the discrete card.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It may be an old card, but it is still a PCI Express card and NOT a PCI card. Big difference! You should not be messing with PCI settings in the BIOS to enable this card. When you install the PCIe card, it should automatically disable any on-board graphics. You should not have to touch the BIOS Setup Menu.

Understand, if you can see the BIOS Setup Menu, the card is working! At least in standard VGA mode.

If me, I would pull the card and reset the BIOS, then reboot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu to set date and time, then Save and Exit. Then attempt to install the card again - using the card maker's installation instructions.

(Don't forget to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE even thinking of reaching in).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The onboard video card was originally supporting 2 monitors. I did not catch that diw was adding the discrete GPU so he could have output to 3 monitors.

Now that the discrete card is enabled the onboard graphics is disabled, so now only 1 monitor is working.

Some users have claimed enabling output to 3 monitors with the suggestions in Post #10.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Do you need any more help or have you got it sorted?
An update would be welcome.