Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't start computer ( because of adobe?) [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Today I installed an adobe update and my computer restarted on its own. This time though, I was not able to go into windows at all. I can still get into my bios, but I can't run windows on safe mode or normal mode. There is a blue screen error that comes for like half a sec but I can't see what it says because my computer restarts over and over.

Again I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or a virus, but my computer was almost perfect before I downloaded the adobe update.
I am on windows xp 32 bit *

IT is infinitely restarting before it actually loads windows.

When I go to safe mode it shows a whole bunch of partitions here is an example of one of them...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows/syystem32\drivers.mup.sys

When I run windows recovery mode it says...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is your first time you have seen this error screen, restart your computer. If you have seen this screen again, follow these steps.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag, or back up utilities. check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for harddrive corruption and then restart you computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203 , 0x89F27D58 , 0xC0000102 , 0x00000000 )

I do not have my windows xp installation cd either :\

Edited by tmacbryant, 23 March 2012 - 11:02 AM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi, tmacbryant! Posted ImageMy nick name is CompCav and I will be assisting you with your Malware/Security problems. Please make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them. If you have any questions or you are unsure about anything, just ask and I will help you out. :)

If you have resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please let me know so that this topic can be closed.

I am currently still in training and my posts have to be approved by an expert so please expect a delay between my posts.

Please make sure you are saving and printing the instructions out prior to each fix, this way you will have them on hand just in case you are unable to access this site. One of the steps I will be asking you to do requires you to boot into Safe Mode and this process will be much easier for you to perform if the instructions are printed out for you to follow.

If you are ready to get started, please review and follow these guidelines so that we resolve your issues in a timely and effective manner:
  • Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instructions that I give you. Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • These instructions have been specifically tailored to your computer and the issues you are experiencing with your computer. These instructions are not suitable for any other computer, even if the issues are fairly similar.
  • Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. However, the one thing that you should always do, is to make sure your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Just do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file inside your post and submit.
  • You must reply within four days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
  • Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic. PM me only if I have not responded to your last post in 2 days.
  • Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to ultimately reformat your hard drive and reinstall the operating system.
    Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Please have the software and storage media for backing up your data available.

Had it been working fine until the recent issue or were there symptoms of malware earlier?

Do you have another computer we can use to download files? If so what is the operating system (i . e. XP, Vista, Windows 7)

Do you have a small USB flash drive to transfer files?

Do you have some blank CD's to make CD's on the good machine?

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
1. My computer was working almost perfectly, it would restart every once in a while with a blue screen, but when i cleaned the dust in my computer I didn't have that problem.

Do you have another computer we can use to download files? If so what is the operating system (i . e. XP, Vista, Windows 7)

yes, windows 7.

Do you have a small USB flash drive to transfer files?

I believe so
Do you have some blank CD's to make CD's on the good machine?\

Yes.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso

Download the ISO file from here:

Recovery Console iso

Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

ImgBurn

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on the computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder. This is the same as the C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r (note the space between chkdsk and /r)

Allow it to complete undisturbed.

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
when I type chkdsk /r it doesnt work

the command line says: The specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive.

Edited by tmacbryant, 24 March 2012 - 12:40 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Does the prompt say:

C:\Windows>

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
wat do you mean?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Where you typed in the command chkdsk /r did it have ahead of it this:

Posted Image

If so you need to type 1 then press ENTER

You will now see:

C:\WINDOWS>

Now at C:\WINDOWS>chkdsk /r

Then press ENTER

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
nvm i dont see it for some reason

Edited by tmacbryant, 24 March 2012 - 01:06 PM.

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
okay I see the first 3 lines in the picture but I dont see windows.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Is there anything below those first three lines?

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ill type out what I see:

MMicrosoft Windows XP ™ Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system and recovery functionality

Type Exit to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer

C:\>

This is all i see, it gives me a place to type but it still gives me the error I mentioned before when i type in chkdsk /r

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I need to check on this difference. I will be back later!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
HDD Diagnose

Let's diagnose your HD.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD. Use .iso if you do not have a floppy drive.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

tmacbryant

tmacbryant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I dont remember what kind of harddrive I have on my computer