Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing aprogram using W98

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
When I click Add\Remove Software in CP the list of programs includes AdDestroyer, a program I want to remove. When I highlight it and click the add/Remove box, I get a WORD-like browse screen titled “Open” with My Douments in the Look in box; INSTALL.LOG in the File name box; and Installation Logs in the FileType box. Is this what <should appear>? Am I supposed to click OPEN to get on with the removal?

When I do so, I get the message that the file C:\MyDocuments\INSTALL.LOG can’t be found.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks. …wdc

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you checked to make sure the program itself doesn't have an uninstall option??

Murray

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Murray: Good point. Thanks. But how do I get to AdDestroyer to see if there is an unistaller? AdDestroyer does not appear on the list I get when I Start\Programs. It just appears on the list on Add\Remove Software in CP. ...wdc

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm.. sounds like you tried an uninstall already and removed some of the files..

Did you install this program??

Murray

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
No, I did not deliberately install it. It got loaded surreptitiously when i mistakenly downloaded an "offer" (and then began to be infested with pop-up ads.) I want to get rid of it. Am trying to do it with AdAware.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. that sheds new light..

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray