Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE9 Freezes when you mouse over the tools menu

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i haven't been able to find any solution to this problem i even tried reinstalling internet explorer. so i suspect the problem is deep in the registry or some missing file. i dont want a cut and paste solution from Microsoft's website because trust me i already tried running ALL of their little automated fixes. and aside from that all the other people who replied on the technet said that ie is too far integrated into windows to fix and you should reinstall the OS. honestly i don't think they really know as much as the people here.

so here is the problem internet explorer completely and instantly freezes when i try to open the Tools menu even if i just accidentally mouse over it instant freeze. i can access the internet options and add-on management via the control panel just fine. running IE in safe mode and reinstalling IE did nothing. i am thinking missing dll since most dialogue boxes and menus are handled by these files. but damned if i know which one to replace.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens if you run IE in safe mode (no add-ons)...

This is the simplest method...
Simply type Internet Explorer in Start Search and select the one without the add-ons.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Simply type Internet Explorer in Start Search and select the one without the add-ons.

I agree. Most IE problems are due to corrupt or misbehaving add-ons. Running without add-ons will help determine if that is your problem.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i ran without ad dons no change

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what os are you running...

try running sfc /scannow...
nojoy
create a new admin user account and reboot into it...does it have the same problem

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
the menu works if the entire computer is running in safemode.

the computer did have a virus i am wondering if there is an active portion that hasent been detected and was designed to keep you from changing your home page back.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is more likely there was collateral damage done by the malware, or by the removal process. This is why getting rid of the malware is often not enough to fix a computer.

You might try uninstalling IE, then reinstalling it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sfc /scannow should fix it but you should probably take a romp thru the malware forum to make sure your clean

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
reinstalling no effect
sfc found no problems
the menu works when the computer is running in safemode but not in normal mode. so some process or service is causing the issue

on a side note i have noticed that when the tools menue is accessed and the program freezes dllhost 32 is launched any possibility of a com error

Edited by mikeloeven, 26 March 2012 - 09:51 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

create a new admin user account and reboot into it...does it have the same problem

did you do this... :confused:

Advertisements

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
yes just created a new user account same behavior

however booting into safe mode fixes it so how do i pin down the program service or driver that is causing this??? obviously something that doesent launch or isn;t running in safe mode is causing the issue

Edited by mikeloeven, 26 March 2012 - 10:18 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
check the event viewer for errors...

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
on a hunch i compared what did and did not run in safe mode and found 3 unsigned drivers with no description of their function and seemingly random file names. i disabled these and ie is working normally again. apparently i missed a part of the virus though why neither malwarebytes combofix or tdsskiller caught these is beyond me :/

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
doublepost

Edited by mikeloeven, 26 March 2012 - 10:59 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
great...and thanks for letting us know... :thumbsup: