Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard function keys

• Please log in to reply

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I bought a logitech mk120 keyboard and mouse set, apparantly every laptop and pc i plug the keyboard to it makes the f1 key pop out windows help every single time. Ive searched everywhere and couldnt find a solution. Even removing the keyboard, using other keyboards, restarting comp and trying this and that doesnt work. Wat in the world is this? Pls someone have a solution to solve this

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
:welcome: Limpei1
Had you installed any new software or updates just before this began?

Try a clean boot to verify if any of the services or startup items is causing this issue.
To perform a clean boot we will have to run System Configuration Utility.

To perform clean boot, follow the steps:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click Apply and OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts verify whether you are able to resolve the issue.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also, see the section on how to return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual”.

Step 2: You may also try Uninstalling and Re-installing the Acid program and check what happens.

For more information, you may refer the following link to uninstall a Program:

http://windows.micro...hange-a-program

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. It didnt help. Wat i need is to disable the windows help thing or disable the f1 shortcut. And btw did u copy and paste ur answer? Cuz i saw tat before and i dont have any acid program zzz.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
What operating system are you using please.

And btw did u copy and paste ur answer?

Yep, google is far quicker than I can type :whistling:

W7
a.Click on Start button and click on Help and Support from the list.
b.On the Windows Help and Support tool bar, click on Options.
c.Click on Settings and uncheck ‘Improve my search results by using Online help’.
d.Click OK.
e.You will see Offline help on the bottom right corner of the Windows Help and Support window.

The fact that it affects other keyboards suggests that it is a system setting.

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Err... Its already unchecked in the first place. I tried checking it also same.

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Windows 7
The fact is for so many years of all other keyboards this [bleep] didnt happen until i plug in tat logitech keyboard and now its there forever

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Did you uninstall all software for your previous keyboard.
Have you checked the following links http://www.microsoft...oards&os=32-bit and http://www.sevenforu...le-disable.html

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes zzz. It only stops the windows key not windows help. Pls only give answer tat is really gona solve the main problem

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

The fact is for so many years of all other keyboards this [bleep] didnt happen

I don't think so. F1 has ALWAYS (as far back as I can remember) been the default key for the help menu. In fact, I have two Microsoft keyboards and a Logitech keyboard here that have the little help symbol (a question mark in a circle) on the F1 Key too. If you want to change the defaults, you will need to remap the key.

Either that or I am not understanding your problem. In any case, pressing F1 is supposed to pull up the help menu - unless some other program overrides that. For example, if I call up Word, pressing F1 calls up the Word Help, not Windows help.

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When u play games does pressing f1 get u out of game just to pop up the windows help every single time? Cuz it does for me. In the past it didnt. Only until i plug in tat keyboard onwards

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Pressing F1 tosses you out of the game? Or just pauses it?

I agree it should not toss you out of your game and if the game window is active, if F1 does anything, it should throw up the games help menu. So if I am understanding you correctly, then I agree, there is a problem here.

I found this: Disable "Windows Help and Support" in Windows 7.

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes it does and it didnt toss me out before. Thanks anyway. The unlocker need to pay to download

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

The unlocker need to pay to download

Ummm, it says here,

Unlocker is completely free and will always remain free, which means you can use it free of charge for any purposes.

Limpei1

Limpei1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok thanks alot. That really got rid of the problem totally