Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

NTLDR missing when trying to install XP Pro on PCI controller card

• Please log in to reply

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Hello all,

A friend of mine who's system broke replace his motherboard with an ASRock N68C-S UCC, on this board you only have one IDE connector and 4 SATA connector. Mt friend had 2 IDE dvd-RW and 2 IDE hdd so I could not use his hardware on this board as with his older one.

I suggested to add a PCI ATA 133 IDE Card (Sillicon Image Sil0680 ATA/133 IDE controller chip)so I could used his HDD to install XP Pro.

1- The Bios detects the PCI Card and the Hard Drives
2- On installing XP I press F6 and I install the drivers
3- XP setup detects the Hard Drives and I can choose to install it on drive C:
4- I format the drive and the setup loads the files needed for the intallation
5- Everything goes fine and the computer reboots

That is when my problem starts, upon reboot I always get the messages NTLDR missing when booting from the C: Hard Drive.

The hard Drives are set as Cable Select and the C: is at the end of the cable.

I tried with only one Hard Drive connected (C:) but still get same message.

Unless I am missing or forgetting something I do not know what to do, hopefully one of you may be able to help me.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6ooo+
XP Pro SP2 French
Gigabyte Geforce GT 520
2 x 1gb of ddr2 533mhz
1 x 300gB HDD (C:)
1 x 250gb HDD (D:)
2 x DVD-RW
PCI ATA 133 IDE Card

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Installing any operating system on a drive connected to a PCI interface card is asking for trouble. You should really only use those to add extra storage and not as a boot drive.
All AM3 available boards only have one IDE connector. You'd do better, if your friend insists on hanging onto what are going to be really old drives by now, connect them to the onboard IDE port and replace the optical drives with SATA ones, unless that PCI card can talk to optical drives (not all of them can).

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Thank you for the info, I'll pass your suggestion to my friend.