Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hook up two printers on two home computers possible?

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I now have 2 computers and 2 printers one is HP Deskjet 3050a All-In-One. The other one is hp deskjet 3500 series. They are in different rooms and I would like to hook each computer to one printer. I am unable to get this done. The HP Deskjet 3050a works fine and prints very good. The hp deskjet will not work at all. The 3500 worked fine on my daughters computer so I know it works. Is it possible to get these both to work? One computer is used for important material. The other is for the grnadchildren to use to do their homework and of course, play games. Just checking to see if one can get both printers to work each for it's own computer.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Just checking to see if one can get both printers to work each for it's own computer.

I am not sure what you are after here. Are these computers networked? Probably the best way to do this is to network the printer (or printers) and then everyone can print to the printer. This is best done with a print server.

That said, the All in One is already wireless, so it should already be network ready. For the Desk Jet, you may need a print server like one of these.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
The wireless printer works wonderful on the main computer. The secondary computer is in the back room where The deskjet is. I have put the CD in and followed it completely. Yet, it will not hook up to the printer. You are probably right about getting something to get this going. Thank you for sharing this site with me. I do have a router for the main computer so that we could get online on the secondary one. So, thank you for your time. This time I tried everything to get this going before I came to you guys. Thank you so much.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The wireless printer works wonderful on the main computer

And where does the wireless printer connect to? Your wireless network? Or your computer? It should connect to your wireless network. Then everyone can print to it.

And the other printer can do the same. You connect it (wirelessly, by Ethernet, or USB) to the router (or WAP - wireless access point, if not part of a "wireless router"). If this second printer is not wireless ready, it may need one of those servers.

The secondary computer is in the back room

And how is this printer physically connected? And what is the operating system for this computer? I NEVER uses those disks. I always go through Control Panel to add a printer and let Windows finds a driver for me. Otherwise, the CD will install all kinds of software you don't need. You may need to remove any printers it is currently configured for.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
The computer is hooked into a surge protecter and the router allows us to get internet on it. It is a Dell: Capacity 149GB Microsoft Windows XP...Professional..Bersion 2002...With Service Pack 3...Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.00GHz 299Chz, 0.99 G.B. Ram. Now the printer is a hp deskjet 3500 series on Owner-2B2129D50...Dell Photo AIO Printer 964 And Microsoft XPS Document writer. This I have copied from my printers and Faxes page. I hope I have all you need here.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
If I were to make the deskjet 3500 the default printer when they needed to use a printer back there would that work? Then I could put this one back as the default printer when they finish their work.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

The computer is hooked into a surge protecter and the router allows us to get internet on it.

I am not concerned with how the printer gets power. I am concerned with how the printer is connected for data (print jobs). And note the router's primary function is to connect/isolate your network (everything on your side of the router) from that other network called the Internet. Most routers include a 4-port Ethernet "switch" in the same box to directly connect devices (computers, printers, network storage, etc.) to the network. Some routers also include a WAP (wireless access port) and are often (but incorrectly) called "wireless routers". They are really 3 separate network hardware devices that just happen to be in the same box.

Back there?

You should not have to physically move any printer - not when you have a router and you can network the printers too. Then each computer can be setup to use both printers - depending on the default printer setting. There are several advantages to networking the printers. You don't have to tether a printer to a computer. No computer needs to be up and running (acting as a "host") for other computers to print. No computer needs to open up sharing for others to print. And the printer can be centrally located.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I will tell you first that the computer in the back room is there because that is where the grandchildren do their homework after school. We had no room in the front rooms for a computer or printer. As for my router, it is said to be wireless. Now, to be honest, when the service man hooked it up for us our main purpose was to get internet on both computers. So this problem with the printer is new and I really don't understand what you are saying to me. I have no idea how to deal with the router. Maybe I could call and get someone to come over and work on this. Really was trying to avoid that. Thank you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I understand your frustration and I am sorry this is so confusing. It would really be much easier if you only needed one printer to work with one computer. But you seem to want the option to have both printers work with both computers. This can be done with with print servers (which your HP Ai0 seems to already have). And while this is a bit more difficult to setup, it is much more convenient after that.

I am trying to avoid you having to lug a printer back and forth.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I do so thank you for helping me. You are right it is confusing to me. One of the main reasons for two computers is on the one I use, I print things for our church and do the card's ministry. The church pays for the cartridges so I can not let the kids use this printer. So they have one that they can print out all their assignments that have to be printed. To be honest with you, I never thought this would be so difficult. I shake my head at my lack of knowledge about the computer. I am so glad that I can come here and get an understanding to what needs done and help to do it. So, I do hope this helps you understand more why I really do need two printers up and running.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, then I am confused. I got the impression, both computers need to print to both printers. But now you are saying the kids will only need to print to one.

Do you need to print to both?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am sorry if I confused you. I have tried to explain what I needed. The kids need their printer to print from their computer. I already have mine printing from this computer. I have items that must be saved and kept on this computer and I know that kids will be just that kids. I don't want them on here to mess with this machine. That is being smart, believe me. Now, I do hope you understand what I am trying to do.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
:confused: I am afraid I am still lost - especially after reading your first post in this thread. So you don't need to print to the kid's printer? And the kids don't need to print to your printer, right?

Let's deal with one computer at a time and we will start with your computer. Do you have a printer physically connected to it? And does it work? Which printer is that?

If you don't want your kids messing with your computer and your printer, you should use a good password on your user account.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The kids need the computer in the back room to have their own dedicated printer is what I am seeing Digerati.
Sharon's computer has the wireless printer already working with her system.
From what I am understanding the kids computer needs only to have access to the printer that is in the back room. It sounds like the other is also installed on the kids computers and may be causing the conflict now.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Let me try to explain this. My wirless printer works good on the main computer. The Desk Jet 3500 is on the kids computer. I can not get this to hook up. Now, I may be making this hard but I have went to site after site and still not able to get this printer to print as long as my printer is hooked up. I just want both printers to be able to print. Mine works great and I am quite happy with it. But and there is a but, the one the kids use for school does not work. I wondered if I made the back printer my default printer if they both would work. I have no idea why I make things so hard to understand. Sorry about that. Really, the password is a great idea. They will have to print off their homework when I am in the room. I thank you for trying to understand what I have explained to you (not well at all).