Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP install disk wont install. Get an error.

• Please log in to reply

Chad1

Chad1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help. After getting a virus I wanted to reinstall Windows XP on my laptop, however when I booted from my Windows XP install disk, the operating system loaded from the disk but before I could do anything, I got a bluescreen error message:

--------------------------------Error message:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable memory options such as catching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advances setup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF748E0BF,0xF78DA208,0xF78D…
*** pci.sys – Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c
------------------------------------

This seems to be a message for an already installed Windows OS, rather than for an install disk so I don’t know what to do. The computer did boot off the install disk (not the hard drive) as I could hear the CD drive buzzing away for ages. And the hard drive is still working as if I boot off that, I get a virus damaged version of windows.

I deleted pci.sys, no effect. There ‘is’ enough disk space. This is an old install disk and a reasonably new laptop, so I don’t think the BIOS is too old and there weren’t any memory options in the BIOS to change.

I originally got Windows XP on this laptop by taking the hard disk from my old broken laptop and putting it in my new laptop, unfortunately I can’t do this again as the old laptop doesn’t work.

Any ideas how I can reinstall Windows? I tested the install disk with another new laptop and got the same error message, but when I tested it on a slightly older desktop computer it worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Chad1.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Also since this is a laptop there is a good possibility your recovery may be on the hard drive itself. If so you won't need the XP installation disk.

Chad1

Chad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, thanks for your response.

Here are the answers to your questions:

Laptop make and model: Dell Latitude D630

Amount of memory: 2GB RAM (I think)

Not sure about the exact hard drive capacity and space but I think that it’s something like 95GB free and 120GB in total.

I have only done what I have described above to resolve this issue. I deleted pci.sys from the hard drive, didn’t help so I put it back. And I tested the install CD with another new laptop and got the same error message, but when I tested it on a slightly older desktop computer it worked.

Any idea what the problem may be?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this first:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

Chad1

Chad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

I tried pressing CTRL + F11 at the DELL screen on computer boot up, but unfortunately nothing happened. I don’t think there is a recovery partition. I originally installed Windows from my Windows XP install CD and I didn't make one. However as you know, the CD doesn’t work on this laptop. (As I described above.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you check the date and time in the bios to make sure it is correct?
Also can you borrow a XP installation disk like the one that is installed?
You can use your key but just want to make sure the disk is good so borrowing one may resolve the installation issue.

Chad1

Chad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

The time in the BIOS is correct. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to an alternative Windows install CD, however I tested the install CD with a desktop computer and it worked okay.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get into windows at all now in normal mode?
If not can you get in with Safe Mode with networking?

Chad1

Chad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can get into Windows in normal mode and I have been running AVG and Mallwarebytes several time in safe mode. I suspect that the virus ‘might’ be gone. However now the network connection is not working in ‘normal mode’ or ‘safe mode with networking’. Windows also won’t let me get to control panel or network connections. The start menu would just stop working.

I did delete an infected file “C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\afd.sys” (though I kept a copy) I don’t know if that’s needed for networking.

However, I really would prefer to reinstall Windows as after I moved the Windows hard drive from the old broken laptop to the new one, Windows wasn’t working perfectly and I have already got all my data off the laptop, ready for a reinstall. At least that way I would know that everything is back to normal with a clean Windows install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it is needed as described below with the exact location where the file should be in bold red letters.

The process Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock or AFD belongs to the software Microsoft Windows Operating System or AFD Networking Support Environment or Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock or Omgeving voor AFD-netwerkondersteuning or Ancilliary Function Driver for Winsock by Microsoft (www.microsoft.com).

Description: afd.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Advertisements

Chad1

Chad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. I found a copy of afd.sys in WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. I wasn’t sure if this was an older version of the file but I copied it to the needed location and now the laptop is able to connect to the network.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There ya go and yes that would be the correct folder to find system files like that. You did perfect and if you are not 100% sure that the virus is gone then I would suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Is XP now working correctly for you do the above steps with that system? Other then possible virus how is XP running? Is it slow, BSODing restarting or freezing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 20 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 45 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Chad1

Chad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Everything seems to be okay now. After I got the network working I updated all the security software and got the 1 month free trial of the full AVG software. I ran a number of scans using AVG and Malwarebytes in normal and safe mode. After that I started to use the computer, the virus reared it's ugly head a few times and AVG detected and removed it. I was worried but then the virus never came back. Presumably each time it was detected another instance of it was removed until it was gone. Everything seems to be okay now. Thanks goes to Rshaffer61 and 'Geeks To Go!'

Edited by Chad1, 23 May 2012 - 04:43 AM.