Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD "Bad Pool Header"

• Please log in to reply

saltash

saltash

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi I recently had my PC give me the blue screen of death,the first time I didn't take any notice of the problem but the second time it happened it gave me "Bad Pool Header" as the indication of the problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly received.Thanks in advance. Saltash

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Saltash.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :thumbsup:
:ph34r: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Also do you have a genuine Microsoft installation disk or are you using a recovery disk?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

the second time it happened it gave me "Bad Pool Header" as the indication of the problem.

Bad Pool Header is usually a indicator the hard drive is having issues...
try running chkdsk /r

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then after chkdsk I would suggest:

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi rshaffer61 sorry for the delay in responding. I have a desktop pc which is a Packard Bell iMedia but I had the motherboard replaced about 18months ago and have no idea what it is. I have just added a 1 gig memory upgarade giving me a total of 1.256 of RAM. Unfortunately I do not have a Microsoft disk.
I will run chkdsk and see what response that gives me.
Thank you for your advice and time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and after chkdsk /r like Happyrock suggested then please do the hd diagnostics as I suggested in my last post. If you are not sure what the hard drive is then use Seatools Cd DOS Iso as it is the most compatible hard drive diagnostic there is right now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another option is to remove the old memory and just run the new memory. Let us know if that resolves the issue. If it does then it could be incompatible memory.

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi rshaffer61 so sorry for the delay in responding but been so very busy in work. I am still getting BSODs of varying sorts. The last one was "Driver IRQL less or equal" and the previous one was "The windows log on process terminated unexpectedly"
Not being a very hi tech computer person I was thinking of getting an expert to examine the pc for me, or is it quite simple to repair.
Having googled the problems a lot of answers require a boot in safe mode which I cannot perform.I went through this problem on this site with CompCav but I needed a plug in keyboard to resolve that issue,unfortunately I haven't got around to obtaining one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YOu are limiting what we can do then with not being able to get or borrow a wired keyboard. Have you performed the test that Happyrock and myself have suggested?

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I ran chkdsk and left it running and when I returned to the pc it was on my home page so I assumed it found nothing untoward?????????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you run the hard drive diagnostics yet? If so what were the results?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to Control Panel...classic view...Admin Tools...Event Viewer...
left panel, click the pointer in front of Windows Logs...under the
above...click Application...middle column... scroll to find the list that
says Wininit left click on Wininit...

right panel, under Event Chkdsk or Wininit click Event Properties... Just scroll up and down to view...
copy and paste the log back here

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Happyrock did as you suggested but there isnt anything in the left hand column saying "Windows Logs" There are 8 headings which read from top to bottom.
Application
Security
System
AMPinglog
internet explorer
Microsoft windows-forwarding/operational
Nano
Windows PowerShell

saltash

saltash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry I re-read your instructions and went into "Application" scrolled down to "W" but there is no "Wininit" only "WindowsSearch Service" and "Winlogon"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 13 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.