Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp wont boot just black screen flashing

• Please log in to reply

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hello i have an older hp desktop, needed to reinstall xp, i started reinstalling, entered the key code and it did a few things said it was restarting, when it restarted the screen just turns black and flashes, i restarted maually and pressed f8 nothing
restarted again pressed f10 to get into the system restore nothing restarted again pressed f1 to get inot setup and it askes for a password do not know what it is put the disk in and restarted and it will not boot from disk, i do not know what else can be done

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi tracylitsinger

Do you happen to know the Hps model name or number so that we can do some research.

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it is an HP pavillion 563w windows xp pro . the screen is just black , it flashes kinda lighter black dark black there is NO flashing curser like i have read, just black, no sounds like windows booting up, the fan runs, the green lights light up on the disk drives, i have never gotton into the f1 bios thing, never had a reason to, but when i did to see if it would do anything it wants a password, i have never put one in so i dont know what it would be,
when the computer turns on, i get a blue screen that has the hp symbol in the center and on the bottm right hand corner it says, press f1 to enter setup or press f10 for system restore. when i press f10 i get a beep then nothing black, when i push f8 it beeps then nothing just black

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:
Some Hp Pavillion model PCs may use the F11 key for accessing the BIOS, can you try this please.
The motherboard in your system is shown as a Trigem brand, it has neither an AGP or pci-e slot for an add on video card meaning that the integrated video chip or an add on pci type video card is being used, do you know which.
An integrated video chip uses the system Ram for additional resources and the one beep may suggest an issue with either the video chip or the Ram itself.

When was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust, dust causes many issues such as overheating and bad contacts, please see below for how to safely clean out the inside of the case and check other components while doing so;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure If all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

When you do the clean out can you check that the MB at the attached link is the same as yours, thank you; http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07813

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i have cleaned it, i also looked at the link you sent, i did both, reset the bios, and the other, i do not know which video thing i have, it only beeps at me when i hold down f1 or f10, if i hold it down then it will beeps at me,
when i turn it on, all of the drives make noise and the lights blink, and it sounds like it is going to start up, but all i get is the black screen, it was working just fine before i put the windows xp disk in, i am giving this computer to my son so i thought i would just start from scratch for him, i put the disk in, it asked what i wanted to do, i clicked on reinstall, it did a few things then asked for the key code, i put it in, it did a few more things then said it was restarting, it restarted to a black screen, i have reinstalled using this disk on this computer before and never had any problems, and i thought somethin was strange, because it usually didnt restart for a while after puting in the key code, anyway, i still have just a black screen that sorta blinks, like i said before there is no flashing curser or anything, just a great wall of blackness :(
psu is hipro
model: hp-a2027f3

Edited by tracylitsinger, 27 March 2012 - 05:04 PM.

RobartGilbert

RobartGilbert

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi tracylitsinger,

When booting and Windows is showing a black screen with a blinking white cursor only, this usually is an indication that the bios is "looking" for a boot device. In this case I would still replace the CMOS battery. Can you get into the bios? If so, make sure the first boot device is the hard drive for now. Laptops are usually set for first boot device to be the CD/DVD drive...
Download the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool to create a bootable CD or DVD. You will boot from the CD/DVD drive, and follow the instructions.

Thanks | see if this helps

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
robart, as i said in my first post there is NO blinking curser just a black screen

""it is an HP pavillion 563w windows xp pro . the screen is just black , it flashes kinda lighter black dark black there is NO flashing curser like i have read, just black, no sounds like windows booting up, the fan runs, the green lights light up on the disk drives, i have never gotton into the f1 bios thing, never had a reason to, but when i did to see if it would do anything it wants a password, i have never put one in so i dont know what it would be,
when the computer turns on, i get a blue screen that has the hp symbol in the center and on the bottm right hand corner it says, press f1 to enter setup or press f10 for system restore. when i press f10 i get a beep then nothing black, when i push f8 it beeps then nothing just black"""

and its not a laptop its a pc

bios has been reset, i tried booting from hard drive first, nothing, i changed it to boot from cd first put the windows xp disk in and restarted, nothing, just black flashing screen, NO curser, nothing on the screen, just black, blinks dark black, lighter black, dark black etc

Edited by tracylitsinger, 28 March 2012 - 05:29 PM.

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
harold.???????? what??

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Edited by tracylitsinger, 28 March 2012 - 05:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
What you are describing points strongly towards a video chip issue and as you have done a fresh install of Xp it may be a driver issue meaning you will need to boot into safe mode to install the video driver, other possible causes include a failed video chip, bad power supply or the screen itself, do you have another screen you can try.

i do not know which video thing i have

See the attached .jpeg below - if you have an add on video it will be in one of the 3 slots that I have lettered B, if you are using the motherboards integrated video chip your screen cable will be connected to the port that I have identified as A1 and A2 which option are you using, I asked that you confirm that the two MBs were the same can you please do so.
How many sticks of memory are in your computer.

tracylitsinger

tracylitsinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok first i want to say thank you for taking your time to help me, THANK YOU:)
OK there is nothing in in any of the slots
i am using the A2 just where my monitor is pluged in, i hook it up to the monitor that i am using to write this to you and still nothing when i hook the hp up to it,
and the mother board in the hp is the same as the picture in the link that you posted
there are 2 sticks of memory

Edited by tracylitsinger, 29 March 2012 - 04:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi

Can you do the following and post back with any outcome please;
1: Remove the second stick of Ram - see if the PC will boot up - if no luck;
2: Try the first stick in the second Ram slot - see if the PC will boot up - if no luck;
3: Remove the first stick of Ram and repeat the above steps with stick two - see if the PC will boot up - if still no change;
4: Remove all Ram and power up, the PC obviously will not boot up but if you get error beeps then it suggests that the Ram and associated slots are ok and it is the video chip that has issues.

The above checks require the computer case to be opened so please take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

NB: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections and that both ends are secure ( Finger tighten only )