Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Message, Can't run repair or find specific Stop Code

• Please log in to reply

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I do not have the windows cd however I followed your instructions and restarted. I ran the scan again and received a message "files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.
Insert your windows xp professional service pack 3 cd now." I do not have this although I will look to see if it was misplaced.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try the second set of instructions that begin with "If you don't have a XP cd"?

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes I did. And after I did everything it asked me for the cd after the next scan.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you borrow one from a friend to do the scan with? It has to be the same version you have on which I am taking is the WIN XP PRO with SP3

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I will find out if I can find it.

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I was able to find the xp cd with service pack 2. I inserted it and the computer told me that I inserted the wrong cd and that I needed the one with sp 3. Is there another way around this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then what you need to do is create a new cd and slipstream sp3 into it.
Follow these directions on How To Create A Slipstream Disk
The instructions should work for sp3 also :thumbsup:

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok,

What I've actually decided to do was try to do a clean install of windows xp since there is not much worth saving on the computer anyway. I reinstalled windows and there is nothing that allows me to connect to wifi. The setup cd which I described earlier with sp2 never asked me how I was going to connect to the internet. How do you set up a computer for wifi access with the clean install of windows xp. And just in case this is not allowed to ask a different question in this thread I created a new thread describing this issue. If you can help me on this thread with it I will delete that thread. Otherwise, I am sorry I did not follow your directions completely. Please advise as to what you would like me to do. Thank you very much for your assistance!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the model number of your Dell Latitude laptop? I can then find the right wifi drivers for you.

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The model number is D610. Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE
Expand the Network area and then the 2nd driver named R151519.EXE (52MB) is the one you want for your Wifi driver. Please let me know if this resolves your issue. :thumbsup:

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
When I opened that link, I am confused as to how to go about this when the computer does not have internet access to begin with. So it cannot autmotically detect settings. Should I try to download this onto a dvd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Use the computer you are talking to me with now to download the file marked R151519.EXE (52MB).
The second file I suggested is a patch and not the original driver.
Then copy that to a flash drive or to a rewritable cdrom.
Then put that in the system you are trying to fix and install the driver.

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have successfully installed the driver and am happy to report that wifi is working! Since this is a brand new install of xp, are there any updates or downloads you recommend to help this computer run efficiently? I need to keep this up to date. Thank you very much for your help!

dc523680

dc523680

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Also, not everytime, but most times I launch internet explorer a pop up says "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Then I have the option to send an error report or dont send. I relaunch internet explorer and it usually works. Don't know why this is happening.