Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad connection with usb adapter?

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hello all,
I have two computers on a wireless network. One is a dell laptop that works great with the wireless. The other is a computer that I built myself (after getting some great advice here!), which does not work so well with the wireless. I have the standard router that comes with ATT U-verse service, a 2Wire i3812V and a supposed 12 Mbps connection. It is in the other room wired to the TV (only about 20 feet away, with one wall between).

Using the ATT speedtest (http://www.att.com/speedtest/) with both computers in the same area, the laptop clocks in at usually between 9 and 11 Mbps. The desktop connection is really variable, sometimes as low as 1.5 Mpbs but rarely over 6. The USB adapter I have for the desktop is a Realtek 11n RTL819.

I'm assuming that the problem with the desktop is that adapter since all the other hardware is so much better than the hardware of the laptop. Do you think that is the case? Would a PCI card work better? If so, can you recommend one?

It seems to me with the hardware I have and the connection I have, the internet on the desktop should be screaming fast, but it just isn't. Very frustrating.

Thanks for your help,
mc

Computer stats:

Laptop:
Dell t4400 @2.2GHz, 4 GB memory
Windows 7

Desktop:
CPU:Ci7 2600k
MB: Asus p8/z68-v/Gen3
PSU: OCZTech 750w
GPU: Zotac GTX 560 TI
Ram: Patriot 8 gb 1600
Samsung 22x sata DVDRW
Windows 7 home premium

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.realtek.c...?keyword=RTL819

Hello, it looks like there are a few models with RTL819 in the model name. Can you choose yours from the above link please? Also considering the desktop has 8GB RAM I am assuming you are running the x64 edition of Windows 7?

Troy

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the response!

It is the 8191SU: http://www.realtek.c...=true#RTL8191SU

I downloaded the driver, but I'm not sure if I should install it. I can't figure out if I have an older or newer driver than this one. Under "About" in the utility program, it says I am running version 700.1601.1209.2009.

Ah, does that "2009" in the number above refer to the date of the version? The one on the website gives its date as 2011, so maybe that would be better?

Just FYI, ATT speedtest says I'm running at 1.5 Mbps now!

Edited by mclimbin, 26 March 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, please update to the latest driver directly from the Realtek website.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Driver updated. This morning I get higher Mbps (between 6 and 9) but it still seems slow. If I try to watch a video on YouTube, it will play for three seconds then pause, play for a few seconds, then pause, then play for like a second, pause for a few seconds, play one second, pause etc etc.

I can pause the video for it to load, but it still loads slowly and I have to pause a 5 minute video sever times to watch the whole thing. Could this be a software problem instead of hardware?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Highly possible, Youtube uses Flash Player so please update it to the latest version.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Updated Flash player. No real difference in load times for video. When I watch it on the laptop it doesn't lag at all.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Does it give you the same lag on a different web browser?

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes, I normally use Firefox and I tried it with Chrome. Same thing.