Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS2 mouse won't work but USB will -why?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My PS2 mouse in the PC computer PS2 socket will not function but the same mouse with a USB connector in a USB socket will. To free up my USB socket I'd like the PS2 connexion to work - can anyone help please?

(My keyboard uses a PS2 socket)

As not to confuse my computer by connecting two mice at the same time so I can use the USB one to navigate to the source of the problem I haven't tried yet - any problems with this?

I do notice that on my laptop both a mouse and the touchpad can work together though.

OS XP Pro

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can use two mouses with no problem.

If your mouse works elsewhere maybe it is the PS2 connection that is the problem, have you tried any other PS2 mouse in it to see if you experience the same effect.

Also did you check in your BIOS settings if you have any option to enable/disable PS2 mouse support.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your response.

Yes I have 2 mouses and both don't work. I have been into the BIOS but cannot find where PS2 mouse support would be. Under 'Advanced' I see USB configuration: USB controller enabled, USB 2.0 Support enabled, Legacy USB Support enabled.

Can you advise please where anything about PS2 connexions might be in the BIOS - thanks.
My BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. P1.50. Have been into their website but can't find anything useful.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First just to be clear not many BIOS have that option most have the same one you have.

Second I would need your motherboard model and number or you computer model (Dell, Hp...) to verify your BIOS options.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Wouldn't it be odd that the PS2 keyboard function is enabled but not the mouse?

The details I have are:

Board: AS Rock AM3 CPU
N68-S/M/ASR
NVidia GeForce 7025/nForce 630a Chipset

My computer is not a name make - a local assembly.

I hope those details are what you need - thanks for considering this glitch.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I could not find anything in your manual that might help.

Have you tried a third party bootable cd with mouse function so you can check if the ps2 jack works, maybe it is a windows xp issue

Maybe also reinstall the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

Hope those help

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I called the PC maker today and he offered the advice to completely turn off the computer, plug in the mouse and start up afresh. I usually only put my computer in hibernation so I'll try that tomorrow after closing down tonight.

Another point - I have updated the Nvidia setup a few times since new and I've just been notified of the latest update which states that this will improve the latest games which I never use so I'm not downloading that. Perhaps the updates I have done delete any PS2 mouse enabling, as who uses PS2 these days? But then my keyboard is still working.

Have not tried a 3rd party bootable CD.

I'll email Nvidia support to see what they say and let you know.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Alzeimer,

Oh dear, I hang my head in shame and guilt - turning on the computer from scratch and the mouse works.

How very stupid of me - so sorry to have wasted your time - perhaps others though will read this and it will help.

So thank you again for your thought on this glitch.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It's ok no shame we all gone through it, lots of times the simplest solutions are the ones we need but we always forget to check them.

Glad to hear your up and running