Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help with a slow computer

• Please log in to reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this. if it is then please move my thread to the corect place.

I searched and browsed on here for as long as I could today to find my answers but nothing exactly what I was looking for.

My son got this new laptop for Christmas and I don not know what all he has been doing on it but it seems to run very slow now.

Can someone please tell me what all I need to check and or do.

He has Windows 7 and I am not familiar with it at all.

So saying that I need someone to tell me what all I should try starting with the basics.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
let me first state this.

I think I may have deleted one or tow items that I was not supposed too... oops
There was a file that said file not found and it was highlighted in pink then I scrolled down to the next item in pink and deleted it.. No idea what it was... MY BAD

Attached Thumbnails

• Printscreen.jpg

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disk management window needs to be opened more to the right so I can see all the info on the top. Can you redo the steps for that and get the whole window for me please.

Once you have done the above please continue with the below instructions.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Sorry about that.... Her is the new screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• printscreen.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Plenty of free space so it is not a space issue. May be a fragmentation issue and the steps I last posted should straighten that out.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I have defragged and done the other steps.

I will let him use the laptop and see what he thinks.

There was alot of Temp files that got cleaned... Probably has not been cleaned since he got the laptop this past Christmas.

Thank You.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep those temp files will pile up and cause the system to slow down. The two programs I linked to are great for getting rid of the temps and then getting all the files in order so the system doesn't have to look around so long to find all the parts of a file or program.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One of my colleagues also suggested this program HERE to help speed up the boot time. I honestly have never used it but if he says it works really good then I believe him. :thumbsup:

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I meant to aske about this in the last post.

I see on his computer that he has these two programs
Constant Guard Protection Suite by Comcast and
Norton Security Sutie by Symantec

I'm thinking that at least one of these if not both should be deleted and replaced by something else such as Windows essentials.

While I'm at it let me ask this too;
I have a few more computers that are running either Vista or XP. Do I do the same thing as I did for the Windows 7 or use different programs for the Temp Files and the Defrag program?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep two suites doing the same thing.
Could be part of the issue. You need to check and see if they both have AV and firewall protection. If so then I would suspect that is causing the BSOD.

While I'm at it let me ask this too;
I have a few more computers that are running either Vista or XP. Do I do the same thing as I did for the Windows 7 or use different programs for the Temp Files and the Defrag program?

Nope you can use the same two programs on all of them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 9 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
The best I can tell it is working Ok, now.

Done all that you said to do. I have not had a chance to deal with the anit virus but I plan on taking off what is on there and installing Windows essentials.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and you can get MSE by following the below link.

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.