Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SEND option missing from Excel file menu

• Please log in to reply

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hi

I recently had to reinstall MS Office (2003 version) onto my new Win7 PC.

Everything appears to be OK but I noticed that I no longer have the ability to send a spreadsheet by email directly from Excel. I have tried a reinstall to repair it but it is still the same.

I use Thunderbird as my email programme, and that works fine. I've tried a couple of fixes like dragging the "mail recipient" command across to the "file" category in the customize options, and changing the MSIE explorer programme default to Thunderbird, neither were successful.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this should be and how to enable the email facility?

Thanks

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hey buddy.

Have you seen this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918792

Meaning even when you use Thunderbird, you have to have Outlook installed to have those options.

Regards,

Pieter

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hi Pieter

I am loathed to install OUTLOOK, I only installed THUNDERBIRD because I had never seen anything so user-unfriendly as the Windows Live Mail. As you may be aware, in MSIE explorer > Internet Options > Programs > Set Programs > you can only select a programme from the list displayed, and OUTLOOK is not there, but THUNDERBIRD is and it selects OK. Windows Live Mail is also listed there and I have tried that also, but nothing changed.

The section on REGISTRY is even worse, presumably the fix is based upon an older OS, definitely not Windows7. A screen-shot is attached of my registry, and OUTLOOK is mentioned, but it still does not work.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• registry.jpg

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hey Phil,

Try this please.

Backing Up Your Registry

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

• Download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Posted Image

Registry Modifications

• Go to Start > Run to bring up the run box
  • In the box, type notepad.exe and press OK to open Notepad
  • Copy (Ctrl+C) all of the text in the following box and paste (Ctrl+V) it into Notepad
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem]
    "MAPI"="1"
    "CMC"="1"
    "CMCDLLNAME"="Mapi.dll"
    "CMCDLLNAME32"="Mapi32.dll"
    "MAPIX"="1"
    "MAPIXVER"="1.0.0.1"
    "OLEMessaging"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\MSMapiApps]
    "msab32.dll"=""
    "nwab32.dll"=""
    "SearchProtocolHost.exe"="Microsoft Outlook"
    "outstore.dll"="Microsoft Outlook"
    "inetsw95.exe"=""
    "choosusr.dll"=""

• Go to File > Save As... and save it to your Desktop named Fix.reg. Make sure you change the Save as type to All Files (*.*)
  • Locate Fix.reg on your Desktop and double-click on it to merge it with your registry
  • Answer Yes when prompted about merging with the registry

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hoi Pieter

Followed your instructions to the letter, but no change within Excel, still no "send" option of any kind under the "file" tab. Also, still unable to add one there by using the customizing tool.

I think I will install OUTLOOK and either use it as my email client or continue with THUNDERBIRD.

Thanks for all of your help.

Groetjes

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hoi Pieter

Installed Outlook, and Excel is now fully functioning.

The amount of protectionism that goes on with software companies is ridiculous.

Just for fun, I thought I might use Outlook, but now I can't import anything from Thunderbird :angry:

Bedankt

Groetjes

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hey Phil.

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Just for the record. I never advised you to use Outlook. Just to install it. :lol:

Groetjes,
Pieter

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Well the story is far from over. Configuring Outlook allows me to send excel sheets via Outlook, but not via Thunderbird and here's the catch-22 situation, Outlook cannot import emails or addresses from Outlook Express or Thunderbird.

I can understand that there is feud between Mozilla and Microsoft so maybe that is not surprising, but between 2 Microsoft versions, that's weird.

There is an Import and Export command, but it is useless because it cannot open the folder containing the information, no matter where I place it, and I have tried from my old HDD, USB Stick, local folder on My Documents, even a folder within Outlook, but the same error message keeps reappearing.

I have downloaded 2 programmes that should do the job, but neither did; how did Bill Gates make so much money selling garbage?

Unless anyone has a bright idea, I am officially giving up :surrender:

Attached Thumbnails

• outlook_error.jpg