Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death, I guess!

• Please log in to reply

dch1314

dch1314

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
So, I have been having this issue where my laptop screen just goes black. It seems as if it's still on, the power button is still green, but the screen would not come back on. I would restart and it would work until it goes black again.

I didn't get the blue screen until the last few days. I would see the blue screen for about a second and the screen just restart. I am not able to read what the Blue Screen says since it restart so quickly.

What is wrong with my laptop? I know you will need more info, but just let me know what you need. Thanks

Advertisements

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Anything?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would help if we had the stop code from the BSOD at minimum but the complete technical is worth a lot more.
Did you recently update your video driver right before this started?
Have you tried a external monitor to see if maybe it is the laptop screen going bad?

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I did try the external monitor, but its not that. I am not sure how to get the BSOD Stop codes since the screen is only blue for less than a second or so, and sometimes doesn't even come up. Is there any other way to get the code?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
BSOD in safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER and then PROPERTIES
Click ADVANCED and then click the SETTINGS button In the Startup And RECOVERY section
Uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click APPLY and OK.
Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error being halted so you can now copy and reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

• Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Okay, not sure when it will do it again, but will do these steps so next time it happens, I can give you the codes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that will work. I will get a email notification when you respond so no problem if it takes a day or two.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
To clarify, I can't do those things you told me to do except in Safe Mode?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Doesn't matter as the log is the same regardless if you do it in safe mode or normal mode.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Getting bad again. Only problem is, I am not getting any blue screen.....my screen just go black. The power light is still on. I have to then power it off and then it boot up normal. However, this is happening 10mins after every reboot. Pain in the (you know what)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Here is what I got....I think this is the time of the problem

Attached Thumbnails

• error1.JPG
  • error2.JPG
  • error3.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like your internet is timing out trying to get a ip addy. Try the below and see if it will correct this issue.

How to Flush DNS in Windows Using the Command Prompt

Step 1 – Close all open web browsers and applications on your computer.

Step 2 – Open the Windows command prompt by selecting the “Start” menu and entering “cmd” in the search text field box followed by clicking the “enter” key.

Step 3 – At the command prompt, enter “ipconfig /flushdns” followed by pressing the “enter” key. After a moment, Windows will display a message similar to: “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.” Once the message is displayed, the DNS will be flushed removing all incorrect entries.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Would that cause my screen to go black and make me have to restart though? I seen it was about the IP or whatever, but why would that cause problems like this to my internet. I am doing what you said now though

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be refreshing and freezing.
It may also be caused by a video card being faulty but I'm dealing with the most obvious issue I see first.