Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard for the FX 6200 processor?

• Please log in to reply

Ravn111

Ravn111

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey, I am going to build my first computer. I have chosen the processor and it is a FX 6200. I have not yet bought the components yet for the computer. But one thing I want to know is what motherboard I can use with that CPU. I have read about other people using the 6100 but they couldnt start the computer becouse it didn't have the right BIOS. I am not really sure what BIOS is, but i went on the AMD site and it said that the 6200 needed the F5e BIOS Update. So i wonder what motherboard i can use with it. I am looking at the Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 becouse it has option for Crossfire.

So my question is really just can i use this motherboard for the FX 6200 CPU without needing to update the BIOS?

Edited by Ravn111, 27 March 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
:welcome: Ravn111
Your CPU is fine with the GA-990FXA-D3 MB, see the guidance below;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Your MBs QVL http://www.gigabyte.....aspx?pid=3900# see the CPU Support List and the Memory Support List tabs ( Note the BIOS flash requirement )Hope this helps and if we can help further let us know.

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It does not say if my ram have been tested and approved by Gigabyte, but after som more research i think to boot up the computer with the 990FXA-D3 motherboard i need the F5b BIOS. But how can i get the BIOS update if i can't boot the computer?

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh, I found out the store had som approved and tested ram for the same price as for som that weren't and approved and testet so now i got approved ram for the motherboard atlest :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Sorry I am confused,

It does not say if my ram have been tested and approved by Gigabyte

But in your OP you say

I have chosen the processor and it is a FX 6200.

And

I have not yet bought the components yet for the computer

That is why I post the guidance regarding the Ram, the FX 6200 CPU has been tested and approved with the MB you mention and it is advisable that you purchase Ram that has also been tested and approved for the MB.

BIOS update, also please note the different TDP between the FX 6200 and the FX 6100 which is 125W as opposed to 95W

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry for explaining bad :P but what i have done is i had a pair of ram that were not approved on the QVL, but I found another pair that is approved(so dont worry about the ram :) )

By "I have a chosen a processor and it is a FX 6200" i mean that i have set up a list that i am going to buy. But i have not yet bought it.

I went on the CPU support list and it says that I need F5e BIOS for the CPU. ( http://www.gigabyte....p.aspx?pid=3900 )

I hope you will understand better now.

And BTW waht is TDP? Is higher or lower betrer? Does the 125w TDP need more power?

Edited by Ravn111, 27 March 2012 - 11:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Thanks for clearing things up :thumbsup:
I would strongly advise that you purchase a MB that does not need a BIOS update to run a new CPU, it is one thing to update the BIOS when you already have a CPU in use but want to fit a faster CPU but not when you don`t have one - like you say you the MB may not even boot up.

I will look for other crossfire capable MBs compatible with the FX 6200 but do not need a BIOS update to run it.

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
A thanks alot, but keep in mind that I am building a budget gamer :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
MB http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131733
MBs QVL http://www.asus.com/...lus/M5A88V_EVO/ see the BIOS details tab.

It would be helpful if the Gigabyte site for your first MB told you what the BIOS update addressed.

Sorry I forgot to answer the TDP question :whistling:
http://www.makeuseof...logy-explained/

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So does this have the correct BIOS for the FX 6200?

But i looked at the PCI-E slot and the other slot only has x4 mode. And that wont give the same performance as two x16 so i want a MB that has two x16 slots

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

So does this have the correct BIOS for the FX 6200?
The MBs QVL doesn`t say otherwise but I did say to check the BIOS details there;

Can you let us know where in the world you are so we can get more appropriate information for you

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I cant find out what BIOS version it got, but look at this: http://www.tomshardw...ard-bios-update
He is having the same problem so he bought a 990fx sabertooth wich has the supported BIOS for the fx 8150
But, the fx 6200 is not listed as a supported CPU but the 6100 is :P

And BTW i am from Norway :D

Edited by Ravn111, 27 March 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I really can't find out what BIOS different motherboards has. I don't know what to search for really. :P

Ravn111

Ravn111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, I gave up on the FX 6200. I called the store where i was going to order it from and they said that i was correct about the BIOS, but he recommended the i5 2500k over the fx 6200. becouse the i5 has more power on each core than the FX got and since most game only supports 2 or 4 cores he said that the i5 2500k was a much better choice becouse it has more power on each core than the FX has.

So I am going to order the computer tonight. :) Looking forward to the build :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
The 2500k CPU is an outstanding performer and I think you will be pleased with it.
I have helped many members in choosing parts for a new rig and the 2500k is an ever present choice as is the MB at the attached link http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157271 PCI-E 3 and Ivy Bridge ready for future upgrade options, have a look and check if you can obtain it in Norway.
Keep us posted on your progress and shout if we can help in any way.

NB: I think you have made a wise choice moving away from the FX 6200 as that range of CPUs appears to have issues.