Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Questions about buying a sound card

• Please log in to reply

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was thinking about buying a sound card, but I'm a little confused about some things. FIrst, my motherboard has an integrated sound card, so it works alright. 2nd, I am connected to my HDTV using an HDMI cable from my graphics card. If I purchased a sound card, would the sound still get to my TV's speakers?

Also, I use turtle beach X41's for my gaming, but I heard that there won't be any increase in sound quality if I were to buy a sound card. I am connected to my motherboard using an SpDiF cable. Would the quality improve on my Turtle Beaches if I bought a sound card?

What sound card would you recommend? I don't want to spend too much over $60 though.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need a separate sound card if using HDMI, the sound and video comes over that one cable.

As for sound quality, more depends on the speakers than the quality of the sound card/chip. Most onboard sound is pretty decent these days.