Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer reboots frequently

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Would you please download this it is the driver for the integrated graphics on that BIOSTAR board

which has this graphics chip
VIA Chrome9 HC IGP, On Board Graphic Max. Memory Share Up to 256MB

Operating System:Windows 2000/ XP x86/ Server 2003 x86 6.14.10.00992007-12-058.38 MB

http://download.bios...900/win2kxp.exe

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Macboatmaster is that the driver dated in 2007?
If so it doesn't work. :angry:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is there are four available on BIOSTAR site

two are for vista - one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit and two including this one for XP. This one for 32 bit and the other for 64 bit.

Does your inside knowledge of this issue allow you to confirm that the chipset driver has ben installed, as of course I see that the reinstall was on the 3 March I think.

As it is known that the 2007 driver from BIOSTAR does not work would you please try this one from the VIA site.
1. The integrated graphics chip on that motherboard is a VIA chip as indicated in my post 16.
http://www.viaarena....p_20-10-02a.zip

2. Here is the link to the VIA site.
http://www.via.com.t...ort/drivers.jsp

3. Your chipset is VIA P4M900 and I think it would be best to install THAT driver FIRST
http://www.viaarena....onPro_V524A.zip

4. and again if it stays on the page here is the link to that driver on VIA
http://www.via.com.t...ort/drivers.jsp

SO IN SUMMARY would you please do the following
1. Download and save the chipset driver from VIA that is item 3 above
Download and save the graphics driver from VIA that is item 1 above.

2. Install the chipset driver. It is I believe a self installing driver just follow the screen instructions please.
If that install proceeds OK Then please do the same for the graphics driver.

Then please reboot and test again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it was Macboatmaster as it is a new installation. The issue is it will not stay in Windows long enough to do much before it just reboots.
I will have her respond through me since it is not running correctly. I'm wondering if it may be a faulty mb or cpu. The system is 3 years old and it has been a issue since day one. Just my thinking but she's open to anything to try. If she gets into safe mode with networking it will run longer without rebooting.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I tried installing the drivers and fixes and the same result occurs. The video driver is now listed as a display but still has a yellow exclamation mark on it. I will just live with the rebooting. Thank you for your help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are you certain, becuase I am more than willing to pursue the issue
If you wish to proceed would you please tell me the error code on that entry that is now listed as display driver and is the same entry still shown for the system interrupt controller - on other devices.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The only error in device manager now is the display. See attached screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• newdevices.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's take a look at a few things and see if we can narrow this down any.

Right click on the desktop and choose Properties. In the properties window, click on the Settings tab then click on the Advanced button. In the window that opens, click on the Truobleshoot button. If the Hardware Acceleration slider is set all the way to the right, move it to the middle and apply the change.

Click Start, then Run. Type eventvwr.msc and click OK. When the Event Viewer snap in loads, click on "System" in the left pane. Scroll through the list in the right pane and post me the information you find listed for any critical errors (red circles with X)...double click on the error to get details on the error. Try to find errors that occurred at the time of a crash. Post the information on three of four of the most recent errors.

Then click Start, then Run. Type prefetch and click OK. In the Prefetch folder that opens, right click in the window and choose "Select All"...press the Delete key and confirm the deletion. This folder will repopulate automatically and will replace any driver files that may be corrupt with fresh ones from the driver cache...it may take up to four restarts to fully repopulate.

Restart and see if things improve. If you experience a crash after doing this, get the information from Event Viewer for that crash and post it for us.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok ran the event viewer and the prefetch and reset the hardware accelerator to medium. I am now just waiting to see what happens. Ithought of another thing... The screensaver never activates after the 10 minute time I set it to and it appears in my simple mind that it must also be the display problem.

The event viewer screenshot is not all of the errors displayed. there was a lot!

Attached Thumbnails

• event viewer.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you double click on that first System Error and post a screenshot of the details, please.

Also, check to see that the date and time are set correctly. Right click on the clock and choose "Adjust date/Time".

Advertisements

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Screen saver was just on and then it responded correctly when I pushed the mouse. It has not restarted since we completed the last steps.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's very possible the machine was loading a corrupt driver from prefetch or that the hardware acceleration was set too high for the south bridge to process. It wouldn't be the first time I've run into that.

I'm still very interested in the details of that last System Error...

Is the date and time correct? Be sure to check the Time Zone, too. Something looks funny to me in the way the errors are being reported.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
here is the screen shot for the first error on the viewer

Attached Thumbnails

• eventvwr.JPG

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Time and zone are set correctly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...very good.

Let's just watch the machine for a bit. If it crashes, grab a screenshot of the most recent system error listed in event viewer...with the details.