Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots frequently

• Please log in to reply

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok will do. After we verify it is not going to crash can I reinstall the 3d stuff so I can use those in the screensaver choices?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do that.

Set a system restore point before the install...just in case. I'm a little concerned that the south bridge on your motherboard may be getting a bit weak.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok was trying to install a microsoft update and it restarted twice before installing anything. Attached are the screenshots for the 4 errors it showed.

Attached Thumbnails

• error1.JPG
  • error2.JPG
  • error3.JPG
  • error4.JPG
  • errorreport.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Those are pretty random.... :confused:

Have you run a memory diagnostic on this machine?

Uninstall SpeedFan...for the time being. It looks like it may be interfering with another service starting as it should and caused at least one of the System Errors.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes we ran memtest for 6 hours with no errors

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Speedfan is gone now

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...go to Windows Update and see if there are more updates available. If there are, try to install them.

Let me know what happens.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Here is the error code when trying to install the .net update

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
went to perfetch and deleted all that was there and was able to get through the installation of .net... then it restarted with the same errors that I already sent screen shots of.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...at least we've eliminated the driver related errors. What I'm seeing now is pointing more towards memory corruption. Possibly a paging file issue.

Let's start by assuming it is the paging file and see if we can create a new one.

Open Control Panel...then open Folder Options. Click on the View tab. Scroll down the list and tick the box next to "Show hidden files and folders"...apply the change. (Once we've finished with the steps in this post, you can change this setting back to the default)

Open My Computer. At the top right, there is a search field...type pagefile.sys and click the search icon. In the search results, right click on the file (pagefile.sys) and choose Delete...confirm the deletion.

Restart your machine. A new pagefile will be created automatically when the machine starts.

Any improvement?

Advertisements

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Can not get this one to install... it has tried 4 times and failed. Any ideas how to force it or what it contains?
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008 x86 (KB2657424)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I appreciate that any question regarding drivers does appear to have been resolved

However Pitstop reports that the audio driver is Realtek

Sound,video and game controllers
Realtek High Definition AudioRealtek
12/13/11

and yet both Biostar and VIA websites do not offer that driver
Biostar offers

V7.500a2010-01-2236.37 MBPosted Image

the arrow is a live download link

and VIA offers a driver dated 2007 version 5 for the VT Audio codec VT1708 which indeed Biostar confirm for the specs on the board to be the onboard audio
VIA VT1708B 6-Channel HD Audio

PLEASE NOTE that I do not suggest you change this now, as we MAY end up with driver issues again, but I think it is a matter to bear in mind if the crashes re-occur.

Indeed reference was made in the Who Crashed data to the possible resposibility for a crash being the High Definition Audio Bus Driver and unless I am mistaken, I do not think that device manager ever recorded an error on that device.

I would recommend you leave it for the time being, but I am not happy that the apparent driver for the audio is the Realtek one and yet, it does appear to me, that it should NOT so be.

I think, if the crashes occur then another look at the MIni dumps to ascertain if the audio driver is again reported as a possible cause of the crash. Especially so if on the same code, which basically means that something tried to access the system at a higher level than was allowed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager for the Audio now. Just the display driver issue in Device Manager.
Pagefile.sys is in use by some other program and will not delete.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
rshaffer61
Sorry must have missed it did not know there had been

No yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager for the Audio now

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Macboatmaster -I had found the cd for the motherboard and refreshed all the drivers from that cd and the only thing in device manager that is an exclamation mark now is the diplay adapter although it does read the correct name of the driver it supposed to be.

Wannabe1- I am not able to delete the pagefile.sys in win or safemode... it states it in use by another program and this keyboard will not allow me to ctrl-alt-del to see processes running in the background. My regular keyboard is a weboffice keyboard and the function keys will not work to get into safemode.