Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Im helping a friend fix his HP Pavilion DV7-3065DX laptop (windows 7)and nothing shows on the screen.When we attempt to turn it on it makes noise inside like its doing something & the lights blink on it but nothing shows on the screen.Can anyone walk me thru fixing this?Please & thank you!

Advertisements

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
Sara,
Have you tried attaching the laptop to a monitor? This might help to insure it's not a display problem.
If that doesn't work, the next thing is to remove the battery, and try turning it on with it plugged into the wall or surge protector.
If still no joy, the next thing is to remove the hard drive, if you are not sure how to find this, get me the make and model info on the laptop- and I will look it up for you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried booting into safe mode...
as soon as you press the power button start tapping the F8 key about once per second

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Sara,
Have you tried attaching the laptop to a monitor? This might help to insure it's not a display problem.
If that doesn't work, the next thing is to remove the battery, and try turning it on with it plugged into the wall or surge protector.
If still no joy, the next thing is to remove the hard drive, if you are not sure how to find this, get me the make and model info on the laptop- and I will look it up for you.

ok i tried removing the battery & what you suggested & it didnt work. Also at 1st we thought it was a hard drive issue so we took the laptop into a store & had a sales associate tell us what hard drive to buy & replaced the hard drive & still nothing.Unfortunately we dont have a monitor to connect it to.Is there anyway we could connect it to another laptop to see if its a screen issue?

have you tried booting into safe mode...
as soon as you press the power button start tapping the F8 key about once per second

Tried booting in safe mode as well & it didnt work either.

The disk drive opens and the lights above the keyboard remain on when we turn it on.Also theres a light next to the "caps lock" button & a light between the "end" & "page up" buttons on the keyboard that blinks continually about 1 sec apart when we try to boot up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get into the bios...

& had a sales associate tell us what hard drive to buy & replaced the hard drive & still nothing.

if you replaced the drive did you reinstall the OS

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
No i didnt reinstall the OS because I couldnt see anything on the screen.
However i just got a monitor so we can see if its a issue w/the screen.
Next question....how do i hook a external monitor up to the laptop?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try tapping the F10 key as soon as you power up...
the connector looks like this...

Attached Thumbnails

• VGA connectors.jpg

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

try tapping the F10 key as soon as you power up...
the connector looks like this...

ok hooked up the monitor & tapped F10 & still...same thing happens.So Im assuming its not the screen

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry but if you can't even get into the bios its time to take it to a shop...

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
sadly thats what i was afraid of.Thanks for all your help.I really appreciate your patience concerning my rookie computer knowledge. If I want good help I always come to Geeks to Go! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If I can pitch in with a suggestion hopefully before you have headed off to the store with the notebook;
To get the notebook to display to an external screen do you need to toggle between the two screens by either pressing a single display key on the notebook or by pressing both the Fn and external display key at the same time, see below;