Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

memory modules compatability in laptop

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi.

I have a IBM laptop, R50E in which I want to expand the memory from 256 to 512 MB. Somone told me that there might be compatability problems using modules other than the original. Other modules are much cheaper and I would like to buy one. Could you advise?

Many thanks

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
it depends on the speed and the type
like pc 2700 or pc 2100 or pc 3200
if you get the right specs it will work fine

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
standard memory in those laptops is: 256 MB DDR SDRAM @ PC2700 333 MHz so look for that

Rik

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

standard memory in those laptops is: 256 MB DDR SDRAM @ PC2700 333 MHz  so look for that

Rik

View Post

Theres a bit more to it than that. Although both modules should be PC2700, you ought to match the CAS latencies as well (cas will be 2, 2.5 or 3) & whether you need unbuffered or ECC ram.

Also, I have found with some laptops and proprietry machines, that they tend to be far more twitchy about the ram they will work with.

If you want to guarantee you get the right stuff, then go to crucials website, link below :
http://www.crucial.c...fgr.asp?cat=RAM

And run the memory advisor, either let it scan your system or select your make/model of laptop. They will then tell you what memory is guaranteed to work with your machine. Also, crucial is a good quality brand & not expensive direct from their website.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
thanks to all of you. I guess the answer is not clear cut and I will follow the last advice.

Ami Yogev