Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install Flash or Adobe Reader after fresh reinstall of WIn 7

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi

I just installed a new Hard Drive in my laptop, and reinstalled Win 7 from original disc.

Now a site wants me to install Flash, which I have unsuccessfully tried to do in Firefox. It downloads, but when I install it, it then gives me "unknown error" and that is as far as I get.

Much to my dismay I find I now cannot install Adobe Reader 10.1.2 either. Again just like Flash, it goes to 96% than after a while this error nessage:

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component

{B708EB72-AA82-3EB7-8BBO-D845BA35C93D}. HRESULT: 0X80070BC9.

The download page said I may have to disable anti-virus during installation. I never had to do that before (using MSE). But this time I installed AVG.
So I disabled AVG and tried again but to no avail. What can I do?
Should I uninstall Win 7 and try again, or reformat or what? And how do I do that?

Please help!

h

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi hawthorn,

You may have to uninstall AVG completely then reinstall after Adobe Reader has been installed. If you choose that route use AppRemover to ensure all residual files are removed that could be blocking the install of Adobe Reader.

Please download AppRemover from here and install to the desktop.

• Double click the icon and click Run
  • Click Next>>
  • Under Select Removal Type click on Remove Security Application then click on Next>>
  • The program will perform a detailed scan on your computer for security applications.
  • Once it is finished:
  • Click Next>>
  • In the next pane place a check mark next to the AV that you would like to uninstall and click Next>>.

This will remove the Anti-Virus from your system.

Better yet! I'd suggest not installing it and using FoxIt Reader. Adobe has become very vulnerable over the last couple of years and really uses up resources more than FoxIt Reader. It's 'footprint' is considerably smaller than Adobe's and consequently uses less resources (RAM as well as hard drive space). I believe there are a few things Foxit cannot do compared to Adobe, but I haven't come across them.

If you choose to install Foxit Reader, please be advised that you may have to uncheck any pre-checked software. Choose custom install.

You can download Foxit Reader from here.

The choice is yours.

Please stay tuned. Other members may have some suggestions too!

Donna :)

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Thank you very much for that. I had just discovered that AVG was the cause of the problem (or is it Adobe that is the problem, I dont know!). So I uninstalled it completely and installed MSE instead (which I used to use). Lo and behold Adobe Reader installed first time, as did Flash!

thanks

h

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Great news! You're welcome hawthorn.

Personally, I am not an AVG fan. MSE will serve you very well.

Happy surfing! :)

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi Donna

Sadly the error has reoccured, this time while trying to install MS Office 2007; its stopping half way through. I cant blame AVG this time!

Any suggestions as to whats next!!??

thanks

h

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi hawthorn,

Sorry to hear that. What HRESULT: code did you get?

Since reinstalling, have you visited the MS Update site?

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi Donna

After another installation of several upgrades and Win 7 service pack, everything is ok (again!).

many thanks

h