Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Addng PCI IDE Controller Adapter to Sata Only MB

• Please log in to reply

Thomas Greene

Thomas Greene

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I replaced a failed mb/cpu that had both a sata and an ide controller with the new Biostar TA990FXE. I was using a sata hard drive and ide dvd drive on the old board. Unfortunately I didn't realize the new mb didn't have an ide port for my dvd drive. i didn't want to buy a new dvd drive and I also wanted the capability to connect old ide hard drives for data analysis, so i opted to buy the startech PCI 2 Port IDE Controller adapter and hoped I could use it to connect my ide dvd drive and hard drives. Unfortunately the computer won't boot with the adapter card installed. after searching around the net, I am betting that there is a conflict between the card and the sata controller.
looking at the bios, there are the following options:
onchip sata type: native ide(default)/ahci/raid/legacy ide
sata ide combined mode:enabled(default)/disabled
Is there some way to set these to get the PCI card to work? Keep in mind that I have Windows XP and I read something about not using AHCI.

Advertisements