Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ME crashes randomly - then stablises

• Please log in to reply

Scenix

Scenix

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi.

PC boots as normal, load a program/game/whatever, everything is fine for 5 minutes, then crashes (mouse freezes, 'jarring' sound constant).
Reset.
Boots up into 'Scan for errors' - halfway through it crashes again.
Reset.
Sometimes crashes after memory test, sometimes during boot.
Reset.
Then everything's OK - Stable for indefinite period. Shuts down OK.
Same problem next time I turn it on.

Could this be a hardware error - like my motherboard, my hard drive, or its controller? I don't see as how it could be a software error if it crashes just after the memory test!

This PC is now 3 years old (2002) and has seen a fair bit of use but not like 24/7.

Registry is clean, Ad's are wiped, Scandisk & defragged recently.

Please help!
Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
it's the operating system to blame. Windows ME was a rush-job to fill the gap between 98 and before XP was ready. it's riddled with errors and is consequently very unreliable. I speak with experience of all flavours of Windows since the early years of Windows 3.1 to the current xp, and I had problems with ME from day one, using the same PC that worked flawlessly with Windows 98. It may be worth checking that all your device drivers are stated as being compatible with Windows ME. Many Windows 98 device-drivers don't work properly in Windows ME, so some manufacturers made updated driver software for their hardware. May be worth checking the websites of your printer, scanner etc. for Windows ME drivers.

Scenix

Scenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't think its drivers that could be the problem - the PC's 3 years old, had ME since I bought it (I wasn't keen on XP's incompatability), spec is pretty much the same from new - only new things are a better soundcard and 5.1 speakers.

Its also odd because yesterday it worked fine, with no problems, but today it did the same as (now) usual.

Thanks pip....and I think PC's were best under DOS, a lot of people never understood it but thats what made it cute and loveable! Besides, having people not understanding it created jobs!!!

PS: I no longer have a printer, nor scanner, (and associated drivers) so they can't be the problem either!

Scenix

Scenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Something I forgot - I did a while ago install Avast Antivirus, which worked fine, removed Win32Ruledor, then spent the rest of the time crashing the whole system (a lot of time was spent rebooting until windows stable).
I knew it was 'Avast' because it was the only new program installed. Therefore I removed 'Avast', to which it returned to 'normal'.
I also remember having 'Avast' from a previously and the same crashing occurrences happened until uninstalled.

Scenix

Scenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Problem seems relatively resolved, removed some software, was fine until I installed a copy of Stronghold?! Still does it, just nowhere near as much. Certainly not on boot.

Weird!

RichardTCS

RichardTCS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Since you said it crashes during the memory test and during boot, the power supply would be one of my first checks. Also run a memory diagnostic program to see if there is a bad section of memory that you may not normally be using.