Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S.M.A.R.T HDD Virus Hijack -> Hidden files, force registration etc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kreamy

kreamy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi guys,

Im new to this forum and would love it if I could please get some help!

I got a "virus" alert popup, and that my HDD was crashing. A program that came up pretended to scan my HDD for problems, and then files proceeded to dissapear from my desktop, and all sorts of folders. Im certain its a trojan horse, I have no idea which one and would realllly like to get rid of it. The program mimicks genuine looking windows tools.

I can boot my computer in safemode, and view hidden files & folders shows me that these files are in fact around.

Any help would be amazing!

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• S_M_A_R_T_-HDD.jpg

Advertisements

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts
Hello and welcome to the Geeks to Go Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal forum. My name is Josh and I will be helping you remove your infection. I am only human not superman - I can make errors but will do my best to help you as best I can so we can solve your problems.

Some of the following instructions to begin the malware removal process can be hard to follow - let me know if you have any questions. Please read all of my responses through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. Also please do not attempt any disinfection procedures without my instruction as things can go wrong that way.

One more thing - please refrain from using your computer until it is disinfected unless you absolutely have to (unless you are following my disinfection procedures) - when you are using it the current malware infection could propagate further infections - forcing us to do a second or even third round of disinfection after the first. If you do have to use it please disconnect it from the Internet - that way the current malware cannot propagate further infections.

The first step for you is to follow steps 2 to 5 here. Expect no more than 36 hours between your post and my response unless World War 3 breaks out and I will need at most 48 hours for initial analysis of your OTL log. Good luck!

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts
One more important thing - make sure not to clean temporary files - this is very important

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.