Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Adobe...

• Please log in to reply

rilee16

rilee16

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've been trying to uninstall Adobe 9, because it's huge, I hate it, and I like Foxit. I have Windows XP.

I kept getting error messages when I tried removing through Add/Remove Programs, and every search I've done on the subject has given me no answers I understand, or namechecked Windows Install Cleanup. I tried using it, and Adobe 9 is no longer in Add/Remove Programs, and yet it's freed up no space on my hard drive.

I did a Search, and a bunch of file and folder names came up with Adobe in the title, so apparently the demon spawn is still with me.

I want to know what's going on, and how to MAKE IT GO AWAY! Preferably FOREVER! Can I just right-click delete everything with Adobe in the title? As far as I know, other than the Flash stuff, I want nothing to do with it.

I am desperate for information I can actually understand right now, so small words would be a plus. I am, literally, about to cry with frustration, as today was already an "Inability to cope with my Asperger's" day.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello, have you tried using Revo Uninstaller?

Also I'm not sure if it works with Reader, but you can try the Adobe Cleaner Tool:

http://www.adobe.com...leanertool.html

If you get the option to completely remove everything that would be fine. It only takes a minute to install Flash again anyway.

Cheers

rilee16

rilee16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried using Revo Uninstaller, and when I ran it the only programs that showed up were all the same ones that already showed up in my Add/Remove Programs. The only Adobe stuff there were my Flash things. And yes, I am certain Adobe 9 is still present on my computer. Urg.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What did the Adobe Cleaner Tool do, anything?

Sujith S Menon

Sujith S Menon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
1. Firstly you need to log on your computer as system Administrator, save and then close Windows applications you were running, like Internet Explorer, or those .PDF file types you were reading or editing while you were about to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.

2. To fast and completely uninstall Adobe Reader 9, you can follow my way to remove Adobe Reader 9:

right click on the shortcut icon, named Adobe Reader 9, then enter Properties entry at the bottom of that menu; then you will see Shortcut tab on Adobe Reader 9 Properties window, go on click on Find Target… tab, click on OK or Cancel button to exit Adobe Reader 9 Properties window; then you’d enter (Adobe) Reader folder, please click on Up button on menu bar:

3. Then you will see Setup Files folder in Reader 9.0 folder:

4. Entering Setup Files folder, you then go on click the {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A94000000001} folder; press the S key to quickly locate and launch Setup.exe to uninstall Adobe Reader 9:

Setup.exe File Info Review That Help You Quickly uninstall Adobe Reader 9 (By Windows)■Type of file: Application
■Description (#1): Adobe Bootstrapper for Single Installation
■Location: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Setup Files\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A94000000001}
■Size: 337 KB (345,520 bytes)
■Size on disk: 340 KB (348,160 bytes)
■File version: 4.0.0.2
■Copyright: Copyright © 2008 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
■Company: Adobe Systems Incorporated
■Inter Name: Setup.exe
■Language: English (United States)
■Original File name: Setup.exe
■Product Name: Bootstrapper Small
■Product Version: 4.0.0.2
■Digital Signatures\

5. Opening Setup.exe application, you will meet Adobe Reader 9.4.7 – Setup window, informing you that:

■Title: Welcome to Setup for Adobe Reader 9.4.7
■Info: Setup will allow you to repair or remove Adobe Reader 9.4.7. To continue, click Next.

6. Go on click on the Next > button to uninstall Adobe Reader 9, then you will come to the Program Maintenance section, please tick Remove option to uninstall Adobe Reader 9. Read more details below to help you better uninstall Adobe Reader 9:

■Title: Program Maintenance
■Subtitle: Repair or remove the program.
■(Option #1) Repair: Repair installation errors in the program. This option fixes missing or corrupt files, shortcuts, and registry entries.
■(Option #2) Remove: Remove Adobe Reader 9.4.7 from your computer.

7. Please go on click on the Next > button on it, then you will come to the final step to uninstall Adobe Reader 9 from your Windows, informing you that:

■Title: Remove the program
■Info: You have chosen to remove the program from your system.
■Details: Click Remove to remove Adobe Reader 9.4.7 from your computer. After removal, this program will no longer be available for use. If you want to review or change any settings, click Back.
■Copyright by: Adobe

8. Ensuring that you’ve saved and closed your important files and/or webpages, then you can click Remove button to uninstall Adobe Reader 9 in automatic way.

Note: For common Windows users who want to remove Adobe Reader 9, it should be working for you to uninstall Adobe Reader 9 via your visiting Windows Add or Remove Programs link in Control Panel before you’ve closed those applications related to Adobe Reader 9 program, and/or some more other software you were running.

9. After that, you will read the following information while you are trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 9:

■Title: Uninstalling Adobe Reader 9.4.7
■Info: The program features you selected are being uninstalled.
■Details: Please wait while setup uninstalls Adobe Reader 9.4.7. This may take several minutes.
■Status: Validating install
10. You then need to click Finish button on Setup Completed section to uninstall Adobe Reader 9, detailing you "Setup has successfully uninstalled Adobe Reader 9.4.7. Click Finish to exit setup.":

11. Then you can save your files and reboot your machine – you need to manually search out, then clean Adobe Reader v9.4.7 files and registry entries left in your system to completely uninstall Adobe Reader 9.

Adobe Reader 9.4.7 File Leftovers Review That Helps You Uninstall Adobe Reader 9
■Acrobat, a file folder located in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe, containing a file folder named JavaScripts (4.00 KB (4,096 bytes)), AdobeCMapFnt09.lst (LST File, 979 bytes (979 bytes), located in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0), SharedDataEvents, and UserCache.bin (BIN File, 12.5 KB (12,809 bytes))
■An empty file folder named 9.4, located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Reader
■AdobeSysFnt09.lst, 14.4 KB (14,806 bytes), C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0

Adobe Reader 9.4.7 Registry Entries Left Review That Helps You Uninstall Adobe Reader 9

■HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603, 001 and 002, REG_SZ file type; value data, Adobe Reader (9)