Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop screen flcikers, then goes black. finally shuts down

• Please log in to reply

vanillarose

vanillarose

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Its never done this before!

Im freaking out. I t was working fine last night. today i booted up and right as i was about to get on google, it flcikered, ,went dim, then finally all black. i coudl still hear system sounds as i clicked wiht my mouse, i just couldnt see my mouse. finally my pc just shut down. when i turned it back on it said it was locked. whats going on? its it failed video driver? do i need new screen, hardrive failing? mybe getting overhesting and need new fans? help! :upset:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi vanillarose

You need to provide information about your notebook such as the brand Dell or HP etc, provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

As the notebook actually shut down it suggests that it is not a screen or driver issue, heat causes many types of issue and this is a classic example, please do not attempt using the notebook again until you have done some checks that we will suggest once we have the requested notebook details.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a dell inspiron 1525

actually im not sure its the fan. it does this right after im logged into the system, like when my msn messenger pops up and when i start to get on google. so I dont think its had time to get so hot. but i dont know. also last night when i tired it again last night i noticed after everythign shut down, the power light was still on. just blinking really slowly. so i pressed pwoer button an screen came on saying it was locked and i had to renter the password. this is what it does everytime

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

actually im not sure its the fan. it does this right after im logged into the system, like when my msn messenger pops up and when i start to get on google. so I dont think its had time to get so hot. but i dont know

Within a matter of seconds the CPU will be too hot to touch and the more the video chip is used the hotter that also becomes.
Cleaning out notebooks correctly is not a simple task and to do a thorough job is not something that the average user should undertake, see guide http://paulov.com/20...cooling-system/ if the cooling fan has failed it is only a matter of time before the CPU and other components fry, can you at any time hear the cooling fan operating?
It is possible to do a partial clean using canned compressed air in short blasts through exhaust vents and the opening you have when removing the Ram cover and hard drive etc.

I won`t suggest anything further until you confirm whether the cooling fan is working or not.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes teh fans work i can hear them going. do you think just cleaning out dust will help? or do i need to reinstall new fans?.. :huh:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good news that the fan works :thumbsup:
Clearing out the dust as I described earlier using canned compressed air is strongly recommended as a starting point, I would also remove the HDD (hard drive) and blast some air through that opening, remove the Ram, blow out the slots and replace the Ram securely but try booting up the notebook before you replace the HDD and see if the notebook stays on.

NB: Just a cautionary note, when you use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks so much. i do not own a can of compressed air so will jsut liek taking off t he parts you said and blowing wiht my mouth help to clear dust or sue q-tip mybe? also i read on another forum it muight be teh battery? liek power supply is going bad.someone suggested removed it and putting it back on. is it worth a shot also?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

thanks so much. i do not own a can of compressed air so will jsut liek taking off t he parts you said and blowing wiht my mouth

Sorry but that will not be adequate as it takes short and powerful blasts to do even a half decent clean, see http://www.walmart.c...oz-Can/14931442 for an example.

i read on another forum it muight be teh battery? liek power supply is going bad.someone suggested removed it and putting it back on. is it worth a shot also?

One of the suggestions to make after the cleaning would be to remove the battery and try booting with only the AC adapter powering the notebook, if no change then remove the AC adapter replace the battery and try booting up again to see if the notebook will function correctly.
When you do the cleaning while you have the Ram and battery removed press and hold down the power button fo 30 seconds, this will dispel any static charge that may have built up in the system.