Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Account won't open

• Please log in to reply

diaraf

diaraf

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I cannot open my Administrator Account (I am the Administrator) on my Visa Home Premium. I can only open my Standard Account user which does not let me make any changes to my PC. Please help.
Thank you
Diaraf

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
diaraf

Welcome to
GeekstoGo

You have also posted the same issue in the Malware forum here
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

I believe it appropriate to start in this forum ie: Windows Vista and 7 and then if it seems necessary I will refer you back to my coleagues in the Malware forum.

1. Does the log-in screen still offer the option of your user account with Admin rights.

2. If it does what happens please when you sign in on that account and what message is displayed.

3. When please did this problem first occur.

4. What have you tried up to now.

5. Can you log in Safe Mode on the account that is key F8 Advanced boot options and select Safe Mode.

6. Have you experienced any problems other than this one please

diaraf

diaraf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the welcome and the reply.
Yes, the log-in screen still offer the option to use Administrator account but when I click on it it does not open therefore I can't sign on. It does not display any message. All I see is that circle going around.
This problem started about 10 days ago and I've tried Restore System when I logged on to my standard user account and when it asked for permission from the Administrator it either crashes or the screen freeze for about a minute and went back to previous screen.
I cannot log in to the account using Safe Mode neither.
Again, thanks for your help.
Diaraf

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not know of course how familiar you are with computers, so if some of my explanations are unnecessary please do not be insulted and just explain that I only need to point you in the right direction rather than type all instructions.

1. Go Windows button Start
Click My Computer
right click C Drive
click properties
what is capacity and how much free space please

diaraf

diaraf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I do not feel insulted at all. On the contrary I am very appreciative of you taking the time to help me out. And no, I do not know much about computer.
The capacity is 288 GB and free space is 197 GB.
Again, thank you for all your help.
Diaraf

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am about to sign off as I am in the Uk and it is 0124. I will not be back until 1800 or so

Go start
in the search box type
cmd
when that appears above
right click and click run as admin
see if that will accept your password.
There is a chance that this may work for the cmd prompt - although it did not for system restore

if it does when the cmd prompt window opens
type
cd \
that should take you to a c prompt
now type
chkdsk /r
agree to run on restart

If that does not work in that you are again presented with the process running but not going anywhere or a crash, then we may have to try the cmd prompt from the Vista DVD if you have one or from the advanced boot options if you do not and it was preinstalled.

NOTE IF YOU ARE presented with the process running indicator - the blue circle, give it a good five minuites and see what happens.

diaraf

diaraf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again.
I tried to run the cmd prompt as administrator but it did not work. If you can work me through the advanced boot option I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Diaraf

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Key F8 please to enter advanced boot options.
Do you have an entry repair your computer

Here is the link as to what I mean - I take it by your reply you do not have a CD/DVD for Vista
http://windows.micro...uding-safe-mode

If you get into that select repair your computer and then run startrup repair.
If that will accept your password
I do not really expect it to fix it, but it is a good point to commence with.

diaraf

diaraf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello there,
Good to hear from you. I do have some DVDs that came with the desktop.
I tried the key F8 but that did not solve the problem. I also used the advanced boot options and was able to activate the hidden administrator account but when I restart I don't see it. I used the net user administrator /active:yes and received a message saing it was completed succesfully.
thanks again
Diaraf

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That is what I was going to do, when I asked you to go to the cmd prompt in windows, right clicking and click run with admin rights

net user administrator /active:yes

but it requires, as I said a cmd prompt with admin rights and I understood you to say that you could not get those rights.

When you now boot the computer you should see an account Administrator and the password unless you set one is NO PASSWORD just leave blank.

HOWEVER if you NEVER established a user account with admin rights, then the account you have been using is the system admin account.

If the account you are seeing at logon is named Adminstrator, as against for instance diaraf, and there has never been a user account with Admin rights, then you have I think a serious problem, as if corruption has occurred in the system admin account files, you may be facing a complete reinstall.

PLEASE NOTE - More investigation is required.
I do NOT advise the reinstall yet.

Finally I do not quite understand what you mean

I tried the key F8 but that did not solve the problem. I also used the advanced boot options

as I recommended F8 for the advanced boot options

Key F8 please to enter advanced boot options.

diaraf

diaraf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I used the cmd prompt in advanced boot options but still don't see the administrator account after I restart. I still cannot get rights using the cmd from the start button.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
A colleague has just pointed me to this possible solution.

It appears to have worked for the person asking for help as you can see but the procedure is complicated and I would advise a slow and careful approach

THIS PART of the possible FIX is mine

The windows recovery environment on the command prompt, starts at
X:\>Sources
that is what is known as a ramdrive
Drive letters are usually moved one place, so what is C drive on Windows is very likely letter D on the command prompt

you can asertain this by typing at the prompt
C:
then type
dir

If your usual directories including Windows are not in there then type
D:
and see if they are there

if they are type
net user administrator /active:yes

at that prompt
see if it reports success.
Exit the cmd prompt by typing
exit
reboot and see if the account is visible
If not proceed as below please

NOW here is the procedure found and suggested by my colleague

If that does not work then you are on this rather complicated involved
loading of the registry hive
and then altering a DWord value.

http://www.vistax64....or-account.html

see post 10 please. for the manual instructions of lading registry hive and navigating through regedit to the correct place in the registry etc
and post 13 for an automated fix by downloading a file to the desktop.
The file an exe file, will automatically edit the registry key for you.

PLEASE NOTE - I have not tested the file, nor do I have knowledge of its use. However you cannot be in a worse state than you are now so I consider you have nothing to lose by running it.

If this works the credit is due to my colleague, not to me and I will post his details so that due acknowledgement is paid.