Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Hard drive dead? :(

• Please log in to reply

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Research shows your HDD to be http://storage.toshi...p?productid=266 if this is correct then here are some replacement HDD options http://www.dabs.com/...330000-52450000

As for recovering your data using Recuva as suggested by wannabe1, if any data is retrievable then Recuva has a high success rate but as you were unsuccessful using Puppy then you may not have much luck I`m afraid.

For a free OS alternative see http://linux.co.uk/p...on-the-desktop/

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry, ignore....

Edited by owen5, 08 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think I have read all of the posts, but at that prompt where you typed chkdsk

type
cd \
key enter
now type
diskpart
key enter

does diskpart then load
if so type
list disk
key enter

what does that show please

Please do not be concerned at me coming in on the thread phillpower2 and myself are close colleagues and often work together

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, and thanks for taking the time to help.

I have an update. Now when I turn the laptop on I get a load of text on the screen that ends with something like "fixed disk error".

It will still boot from the Win7 DVD, so I have done as you suggested. Diskpart does load, but when I ask for a list it says "There are no fixed disks to show". Sounds to me like it's definitely dead.....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I agree and I just thought it was worth trying, simply to confirm the report received when my colleague wannabe1 suggested the Western Digital disk utility, as of course it does appear the drive is a Western Digital drive.

I would take the drive out of the computer and connect it to another computer in an enclosure or docking station. If you can borrow one all the better of course. If you have to buy one ensure if it is an enclosure that besides being a 2.5 drive fitting it is also NOT one of the slimline models, as they will not fit some of the older laptop 2.5 drives as the drive is too deep.

This will confirm it for you beyond doubt, on the very slight chance that the drive itself is OK, albeit it is extremely unlkely and the porblem lies elsewhere.

As far as I am able to ascertain there is a cover on the base of the laptop with two screws on one edge, the cover then lifts off and there is inside a metal caddy which retains the hard drive.

Unfortunately being the Advent I cannot find the service manual, but usually the caddy itself is then securec by screws and after removing those, the caddy and drive left up, to disconnect.

If you do decide to proceed, ensure you remove the battery, hold down the power button for a full 20 seconds and do not touch any components apart from the hard drive, althoughI do not think any are really accessible from the HDD cover, without taking anti=static precuations.

You then need to beg borrow buy one of these

http://www.google.co...ved=0CGsQ8wIwAQ#

http://www.google.co...dd03c1d0c39eb3c

ONLY of course to give an example of what you are looking for.

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks again for the help.

I have taken the drive out and connected it to my desktop using a SATA to USB lead - it's not even recognised, which would suggest that it is dead.

Guess I'm going shopping for a new HDD....

Now I'm only going to be using this laptop as a spare from now on, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new HDD. Can anyone recommend a half decent one? Ideally I don't want to spend any more than £20-25 - there seem to be quite a few 60-80Gb ones on ebay for that sort of price - is there anything I should look out for (or avoid)?

Edited by owen5, 09 April 2012 - 01:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well all the work was done by my colleagues, so your thanks is appreciated but it is due to them

I guess you are -shopping for a new drive

Although Puppy is a reasonable test of the hardware and all the indications are the drive I would tend towards, if at all possible, trying to borrow another drive. Ideally of course, although probably extremely lucky if you can, a drive on which you can try the install., as one with an O/S installed on another computer may very well not of course boot on this laptop.

Puppy will boot from ram even without a drive connected and the cost of the drive may JUST by slight chance prove to be a waste if the problem proves NOT just to be the drive.

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmmm.....

There's an old laptop kicking around in work. I can probably take the drive from that, format it, and then give it a try. Better than buying a new one just to find out that something else is wrong.

I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do thanks.
If it OLD it may not of course be a SATA HDD it maybe PATA (IDE)

Advertisements

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ah yes, hadn't thought of that....

I'll have a look anyway. Can't hurt.

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
In case you were wondering - it was an IDE drive. ebay here I come!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good luck, please let us know how you go on.

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok, an update:

Bought a HDD from ebay. It arrived this morning, I've fitted it and have installed Win7 - so far all seems to be going well!!

Assuming no further problems I'll make sure to keep a note of the product key, and to backup anything important.

Thanks once again to everyone for their help! :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That is good news and thanks for posting.

See this - for backup and system image on 7.
http://windows.micro...asked-questions
Do not forget the repair disc and you may find some useful information on here a short article I have written.
Aimed mainly at the novice user, but perhaps something for you here and there

http://www.geekstogo...-your-computer/