Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning a Gaming Rig; Part List Incomplete, need help suggestions app

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry about missing the link out, think the Easer Bunny got to me. http://pcpartpicker.com/

I see that Newegg has put up the Z77 Motherboards.

Fixed link in post #14.

Edited by iammykyl, 09 April 2012 - 03:55 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Sorry about missing the link out, think the Easer Bunny got to me. http://pcpartpicker.com/

Glad to hear it wasn`t the amber nectar Michael :whistling:

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I see that Newegg has put up the Z77 Motherboards.

Fixed link in post #14.

No problem. That site is awesome! I great starting point, and while they don't seem to have every part I'm looking for they do have links to sites with great prices. I will definitely be using this website in the future. As for my parts list here, I think what I'll do is create a shared XMarks folder and then just post a link to it, there's an RSS functionality too that will update the list for subscribers as I change it, but I don't think that would be necessary. However a simple link to a page with the list of all the parts and the relevant links would be nice. That part picker website lead me to find the case I'm looking at for $56.25 (I had originally expected to pay around 70 for it) and I also found another case (the BitFenix Survivor) that I originally though was over a hundred bucks but was delighted to see it for less than 80. I might choose that one if ya'll think it would be better than the Shinobi. More on that subject later, as I think I'll turn in for the night.

I will continue to refine the parts list and get back to you as it updates. My current focus is the power supply which I believe leaves the largest hole in the list currently (not sure why I think that considering the monitor is still missing aswell) and I'll be glad when the Ivy Bridge processors come out at the end of the month so I can finally solidify a price-point for the CPU.

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
For all intents and purposes, let's just say I'm going with the Gateway FHX2402 monitor. Would you chaps know of a superior monitor in with the same slim design philosophy of the FHX? What monitor of the 23/24" 1920x1080p persuasion would you choose if this were your build?

And since the only two parts I have left to choose are the monitor and the PSU? What type of power supply should I look for and what wattage would you recommend?

Thanks again in advance for your replies and all the help you've given me with this topic. I really appreciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
A display suggestion http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236153 2ms response time as opposed to the Gateways 5ms response time + it has better warranty cover and better features.
As I previously said you cannot choose a PSU until All other hardware components are decided on/ordered/confirmed as available so we will need your final list of confirmed parts

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

A display suggestion http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824236153 2ms response time as opposed to the Gateways 5ms response time + it has better warranty cover and better features.
As I previously said you cannot choose a PSU until All other hardware components are decided on/ordered/confirmed as available so we will need your final list of confirmed parts

Ah, sorry I forgot about that. I just thought since most all those parts on the list currently are pretty much what I'm planning on we could at least ball-park the PSU needed. But I'll make sure to have everything else in order before I ask again. Thank you for clarifying.

As for the display, I was looking at that one before I was drawn to the thinner displays as well as the 23" version with slightly different styling. Considering the 1920x1080 resolution, a friend of mine mentioned that going with a 24" over a 23" would be better because objects on the screen wouldn't be "tiny". Though from reviews n'such people seem to like the 23" model a bit better and I really don't mine the one inch difference (as I've said before I'm on a 15" laptop) and the price difference is also rather inviting. So what I'm asking is if it were you, would you go with the one you linked above or this one?

Also I thought you should all know that your positively awesome.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
No worries it was merely a reminder :whistling:

Now if you had said specifically a 23" screen I would have suggested the very one that you have :thumbsup:
At the end of the day the final decision will be yours to make but consider how much you are going to spend on all of the other high end components, will you within a couple of days of getting the build up and running think I should have spent the extra $50 and got the 24" display - not an easy question for you to answer at the moment!

The one minor thing that I do like about the 24" screen is the stand as opposed to that of the 23".

Thank you from us all :thumbsup:

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

No worries it was merely a reminder :whistling:

Now if you had said specifically a 23" screen I would have suggested the very one that you have :thumbsup:
At the end of the day the final decision will be yours to make but consider how much you are going to spend on all of the other high end components, will you within a couple of days of getting the build up and running think I should have spent the extra $50 and got the 24" display - not an easy question for you to answer at the moment!

The one minor thing that I do like about the 24" screen is the stand as opposed to that of the 23".

Thank you from us all :thumbsup:

I like the appearance of the 24" model a bit better, I think I'd be happy with either. I haven't used a large screen monitor for any extended period of time so I can't really say from experience if I'd notice the inch difference in screen space. But for now we'll just assume that I'm shooting for the larger of the two (I happen to like the stand on the 24" too) and if I have to pinch pennies later, though I don't think I'll need to, I can downgrade to the 23" and save 50 bucks. However I think I'd look at getting a smaller capacity HDD before I downgraded the monitor.

...and I'm kicking myself because I misspelled "you're". >.< Oh well.

Just a quick update as far as price goes (assuming the PSU is in the $130 range) this build will probably be around $1700 which was right where I wanted it to be. With a bit of bargain hunting and a few lucky sales when it comes time to purchase I may even be able to build it for around $1500 like I originally wanted to do, though I won't be able to tell for sure as I can not get a straight forward price estimate until the i5-3570 comes out on the 29th.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Some things to consider.

Unless you know otherwise? the cases you are looking at do not have any filters. This case is the one I often use and recommend in builds. It really is a good quality build, has great cooling and control, washable filters, a bit blingey though. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129066

Phillpower61 said,

but consider how much you are going to spend on all of the other high end components, will you within a couple of days of getting the build up and running think I should have spent the extra $50 and got the 24" display

I was having similar thoughts, a budget screen would not best show the performance of the selected GPU. I was looking at displays with 120hz refresh rate, but see they are expensive.

What monitor of the 23/24" 1920x1080p persuasion would you choose if this were your build?

I would have definitely gone for a display with 16:10 aspect ratio, 1920 x 1200 resolution, http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Info on GPU, Take note of page
PCI Express 3.0 And Adaptive V-Sync

Advertisements

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Info on GPU, Take note of page
PCI Express 3.0 And Adaptive V-Sync

I think you may have missed the link again. I'm fairly certain that the Z77 that Phill and I picked out has PCI 3.0 and it will be supported by the Ivy Bridge processor I'm planning on. I'm not sure what adaptive v-sync is, but I'd imagine that being a newer technology that the Z77 mobo's and the Ivy Bridge CPUs would have it.

Edited by Roentijen, 12 April 2012 - 11:03 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted ImagePosted Image

Review is for the GTX 680, main opposition is the HD 7970/7950.

http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3161.html

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted ImagePosted Image

Review is for the GTX 680, main opposition is the HD 7970/7950.

http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3161.html

All things considered and keeping in mind that I intend this computer to be primarily for games, it looks like the GTX 680 is the way to go.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

it looks like the GTX 680 is the way to go

That was my conclusion , supposed to be cheaper as well Lets see what Phillpower2 thinks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
I reckon the 680 is loosing a bit of ground to the 580 due to the price to performance ratio;
http://www.videocard...GeForce GTX 680 life is fickle - your top dog one day and old news the next :blink:

Best to do a final check before ordering to see what is deemed the best on that day.