Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is it Legal to install Kill region for playing foreign DVDs ?

• Please log in to reply

auto7890

auto7890

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
is it Legal to install Kill region for playing foreign DVDs ?

All computers only allows to switch "regions" 5 fixed times. Why ? and is it Legal to install Kill region for playing foreign DVDs after the 5 times are up ?

Advertisements

Alias50

Alias50

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
To be honest, I have no idea why Windows only lets you switch your DVD drive region five times when playing other region DVDs. There's certainly no law that says you cannot do everything in your power to circumvent region protection. At least, not one that I am aware of because that would be unbelievably stupid. Just that you can't, technically, bypass the ones that prevent you from making a 1:1 copy. Would region protection fall under that category? I don't know. Intricacies of copyright law are a real pain in the butt, and tend to vary by region anyway.

I would say that the whole "region lock" thing with DVDs was originally intended to prevent you importing a DVD at a better price from another region. Maybe there's another reason for it? I really don't know.

Regardless, it's not really that big of an issue nowadays. So yes, as long as you obtained the DVD through legal means, nobody is going to care how you get it to play. It's not like people are going to come after you for it because as far as region locking is concerned, no one cares.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Auto7890,

Thank you for asking about Region coding. Wikipedia has a great article that discusses it thoroughly.

http://en.wikipedia....DVD_region_code

Also recently discussed on Tekzilla:
http://revision3.com...-101#rev3Player

The only legal and free way of watching region locked dvd's is to use VLC media player. Anything else (if you live in the USA) could violate copy protection laws such as DMCA. Yes there are protests and recent rulings that are relaxing dvd region coding, but we are not a legal discussion forum.

auto7890

auto7890

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, has anyone here used any of these ?
css free + kill region + dvd43
??
Also they say that you must be careful otherwise you can stuff up the drive or the operating system ,is this true ?

Apparently you must choose the correct software for your specific drive ,they say.
My drive is a MATSHITA UJ-840D

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
don't worry about using kill region. Not worth messing with it. Not when there are alternatives like VLC. We can't advise any further as it violates DMCA and therefore against site policy to support this.