Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could use a PC appraisal!

• Please log in to reply

Robert Brett

Robert Brett

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my fiance a PC to game with me a bit. My friend has an extra he's trying to sell but neither of us have any idea of its current worth.

It's about a year old now, gently used. From what I can find, this is what's inside:

IntelCore i5 2.67ghz
8GB Corsair RAM (DDR3?)
GeForce GTX 460 (1gb)
A corsair solid state 120gb

No aftermarket soundcard, pretty standard case.

After some digging and assumptions (plugging in 100 for the mobo, no clue what it is), it looks as if I would be able to build this for roughly $700 shipped, new that is.

Does anyone know or have any idea about what this would be worth now? I'm not active in the PC world, so I have no clue if this is all extremely dated gear, or if I offer him $500 I would be getting a steal.

Just looking for some estimates, nothing official of course!

Thanks in advance for the help,

Robert

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Robert Brett
We would need a bit more information to be able to offer a more informed opinion.
What you need to consider is any future upgrade options the system does or does not have, if at all possible ask your friend to run Speccy which will tell us exactly what is on offer http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Some guidance on the components that you have listed in your OP;

IntelCore i5 2.67ghz There are numerous i5 CPUs available with the 2500k being the best of the series performance to price ratio wise, see http://www.newegg.co...=1&name=Core i5
8GB Corsair RAM (DDR3?) Good Ram and just the right amount required to get the best out of Windows 7 64-bit**
GeForce GTX 460 (1gb) See how it compares http://www.videocard...GeForce GTX 460
A corsair solid state 120gb A good brand and ideal for faster boot up times.

**Other things that you need to consider;
The brand and output of the PSU (power supply unit)
There is no hard drive mentioned.
There is no OS (operating system) mentioned, the licence is non transferable.
A pretty standard case as you described it may have a poor cooling system, heat damages the hardware so check out the fan set up, induction fan at the front and exhaust fan at the rear as a minimum, the bigger the better for best results.
Hope this helps, any questions ask away.

Robert Brett

Robert Brett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Phil thank you so much for the fast response.

I probably won't be upgrading this PC much, unless its highly compatible for it, but that isn't a major selling point for me. Mostly just trying to figure out if offering a friend 400-500 for this would be better than spending that much on a starter PC for my fiance off Newegg or something.

Thanks again!

Here's what I got from the program:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz 38 °C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
EVGA EVGA P55 SLI E655 (CPU 1) 35 °C
Graphics
BenQ G2200W (1680x1050@59Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 460 (EVGA) 38 °C
Hard Drives
31.3GB Corsair CSSD-V32GB2 ATA Device (SATA-SSD)
733GB Western Digital WDC WD7500AADS-00M2B0 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

I undersold the case a little bit..Its got great ventilation, pretty lights, lots of fans--just no special water cooling or anything like that.

Power supply is a Rosewill Xtreme 850W http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182070

Hope this helps!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional info and you are welcome :thumbsup:
An example of what you can purchase for around $400 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883229310 the downside to this computer is that they do not normally use good brand PSUs like Antec or Corsair which means that if you wanted to fit an add on video card you may also have to upgrade the PSU.

The used computer has some good components but the MB has little upgrade potential, the OS is also a concern unless you have your own Windows 7 disk/licence that is not installed on another computer.

Just a FYI liquid cooling is for overclockers and high maintenance so avoid it at all costs, you won`t have to worry about leaks then either.

Robert Brett

Robert Brett

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks a TON!

So forgive my ignorance here--If I have my own windows disk, would 400 be a fair offer to him since its *almost equal is on Newegg, new, for $430? I'm not looking to lowball him, just not trying to pay too much for something that isn't worth it at the same time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

One way to work out if you would be getting value for money would be to price the present components new and then
subtract 40-50% of the cost and see what it comes out at, I am in work all day today and will not have the time to
do this for you until Friday if that is ok.
As for the OS disk if you don`t have a W7 64-bit disk it will add circa $100 to your overall cost.