Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 monitors on windows 7?

• Please log in to reply

weldon49

weldon49

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey,
So i just purchased a second monitor to extend my screen. I am craving a third now but i have a few questions before i spend the money. First, obviously windows 7 supports one extra monitor just a plug and go... simple. But if i attach a third will it be as simple as plug in and watch it set it up itself? If not what will i have to do to make my screen extend 3 monitors long. Second, i am using just as average laptop, so now i only have 1 vga port so i know i can only plug in the second screen, but there is a thing out that... well you can look http://accessories.u...085,,901pdb6671 so basically from what i got all you do is plug it in the usb port and it has a built in graphics card with a vga port so then i can just plug in the third screen. if this all works as i hoped. with this set up will it just plug in and go as the second screen did or will i have to configure it to work because i have heard of others trying to use three screens but only 2 would show up at a time. heres my specs if it is even necesary, CPU: Pentium Dual-Core T4500 @ 2.30 Ghz Intel 4 chipset express integrated graphics card and 4 gigs RAM. btw i am an average user with just simple documents and web pages. obviously i dont have my laptop for anything thatd use up alot of my cpu to begin with. thanks in advance!!!!!!

Edit: Made URL into a valid link - Z

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I've never done this but what you found looks like it should work since it will add 1 VGA port.

I wonder if you might get better feedback in the Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum?

Road Runner

Road Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Mr. Weldon49

Please take the below information as it is intended. It is only the results of my experience last summer adding a third monitor to a Windows 7 Home Premium 4 gb ram laptop.

Adding the second monitor to the vga port was pretty much plug and play with little configuration.

I added a usb to vga adapter and added a third monitor.

My first observation was the Windows warning that the video defaults for Window 7 Home Premium were being reverted back to Window 7 Basic.

What that meant in my experience was I lost the nice shiny Aero screen. It was just a little duller. Like Windows XP.

As I was using this for a research machine the slightly downgraded graphics were not an issue. If I wanted to watch a HD Video it would have been.

I have been running multiple monitors and video cards on desktops all through the XP era. I found that some video cards played better with others and it was pretty much hit or miss in finding the right combination.

The hit and miss got worse the more cards you added.

4g ram handled the 3 monitors ok in most instances. If the laptop hibernated or went to sleep there were a few instances of hung screens upon wake up.

For me the benefit of the third monitor was worth the few glitches...However by choice I prefer to be on my Win 7 desktop with 4g ram and one dual head card and one single head vga card.

Hope this helps but do remember...your experience may differ.

Beep Beep

RR