Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't start.

• Please log in to reply

Snooze10

Snooze10

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

I've just done my first custom build. Everything looks like it powers on fine (the heatsink fan spins and the motherboard light is on). The problem is after switch on there's 3 beeps, 1 long 2 short. There's also no video signal to the monitor from either the on board graphics or the dedicated card. At first after some google searching I thought it might be down to bad ram. So I replaced the Corsair 4gb ram for some Kingston 4gb ram that was on the motherboards compatibility list, same result. Now I think I've narrowed it down to a CPU/Motherboard issue. If I remove the CPU and boot up there's no beeping. Still there's no video signal, though. So I can't tell if it's down to a faulty Motherboard, CPU or graphics card. Or even something else...

Any idea where the problem lies?

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD Athlon II X3 450 AM3
Sapphire HD5450 1GB DDR3
Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3
CIT 550w Silent ATX Power Supply

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Snooze10, 04 April 2012 - 08:39 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is the CPU power frequently a four pin connector connected. from the PSU

In the meantime I will examine the beep codes and post further

Here I am back = as you say on that motherboard the fault tracing tends to indicate a memory issue

Memory issue: Beep (1 long 2 short) A Clean the Golden Finger of memory

B Clean the memory slots

C Leave only one memory stick to test

D If convenient, please change different memory to test again

1.4.2.2 Graphics card issue: Beep (1 long 3 short)

A. Clean the Golden Finger of graphics card

B. Clean the graphics card slots

C. Try to test the onboard graphics card if there is onboard VGA integrated

D. If convenience, please change different graphic cards to test again

1.4.2.3 CPU issue: Beep (5 short)

A. Check whether the CPU is in our CPU support list

B. Check whether there are any damagers of your CPU or CPU socket.

C. .Check whether the CPU fan is correctly connected

D. Check whether the ATX_12V power cable is connected well

E. If possible try to test with another CPU

1.5 If the PC could POST after the troubleshooting as the steps 1.3, please plug components back one by one to find out which one may cause this problem

as three with one long two short tend it appears to indicate memory, aklthough it may be graphics as my colleague rsahffer61

has now posted below.

I would try with ONE stick of the ram although you do not say what configuration the 4Gb is in.

Also in respect of this

. If I remove the CPU and boot up there's no beeping. Still there's no video signal, though. So I can't tell if it's down to a faulty Motherboard, CPU or graphics card. Or even something else...

There will NOT be - as without the CPU there cannot be any graphics.

for your information
http://support.asus....J2GF&os=&no=978

and additionally are you certain that the motherboard is correctly inserted with the spacers in the right place and there is no chance that it is shorting out

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

Typical video error code.
Are you sure the card is seated correctly in the slot?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would go back and check the ram as I notice that some Kingston ram depending on which you have and the configuration of the 4Gb is NOT supported in 4 DIMM
Only in 1 & 2 dimm

For instance

KVR1333D3N9/1G

in 1Gb stick is only supported in 1 & 2 DIMM
NOT in four DIMM

4 DIMM Slots

1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration

2 DIMM: Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration

4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two different approaches to the same issue now how interesting is this. :thumbsup: Mac did you check which BIOS that motherboard has installed to verify your interpretation of the beeps? I didn't and that maybe why we are looking at it from different angles. :thumbsup:

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Macboatmaster - It's one 4gb Kingston stick. I also have a 4gb Corsair stick which I'm due to send back (both give the same result). The Corsair stick was not on the compatibility list (only 2x2gb for 4gb), but the Kingston one is down as being compatible in the manual. I've tested everything in the troubleshooting that I can. I tested each component one by one, nothing gives a video signal and only the CPU gives the beeping alert.

As for the PSU. There's two cables to the motherboard. One 4 pin that is marked on the motherboard as ATX12V and a 24 pin marked as EATXPWR.

rshaffer61 - I've reseated it a dozen times with no change. Also tried removing it and relying on the integrated video, but no change.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you built this from scratch - do not be offended please but we have no way of knowing your level of knowledge

1. Are you certain the CPU is inserted correctly as indicated by the mark on the corner usually.
2. Was there any attempt to insert it incorrectly
3. Was the CPU supplied as the package with the cooler and fan.
If so was the thermal compound pre-applied. It usually is
4. If NOT have you applied thermal paste - too much is bad.
The thermal paste is to account for the microscopic imperfections in the surface of the CPU
5. Are you certain the ram is correctly inserted and the clips are in position at each end of the stick
6. try the ram in another slot - IF you are certain it is correctly inserted.
Therefore try another channel The same colour slot indicates, usually where the two sticks are inserted to use dual channel
So blue will be slot I for channel A for example and the other blue for channel B and black slots will be ONE black for EACH channel.
NOTE this is NOT always the case and you must check your moptherboard manual
Therefore if you have the ONE stick in one of the blue slots try it in one of the black slots.

You would actually have been better going for 2 x 2Gb then you could have used the dual channel and even if you expanded you would have 8GB.
However that of course is only an aside issue.

I would check AGAIN all connections and as I mentioned before are you certain the build was correctly done with anti-stattic precautions as well

Please provide exact spec of the kingston ram.

which slot is the ONE stick in please.

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's more or less from scratch. Everything, but the case and hard drive. The ram is in DIMM_A1 (top slot).

Kingston Ram

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but the case and hard drive

Question... Does the power supply have the connections for both the power supply connectors for the motherboard and if so are they both connected in the correct locations?

What is the hard drive from and was it formatted before installing it?

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

but the case and hard drive

Question... Does the power supply have the connections for both the power supply connectors for the motherboard and if so are they both connected in the correct locations?

What is the hard drive from and was it formatted before installing it?

I assume I have the right connectors in. Both of the connectors are the only ones from the power supply that fit into the motherboard. 4Pin and 24pin.

The hard drive was from the original computer. A Maxtor 250gb SATA. It has a clean XP installed.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It has a clean XP installed.

:confused:
How can it be a clean install if the system will not boot up to begin with?
Did you load it on another system?

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

It has a clean XP installed.

:confused:
How can it be a clean install if the system will not boot up to begin with?
Did you load it on another system?

Sorry I should have said I re-built the original PC while I waited on the replacement RAM. Installed XP yesterday (what I meant by clean), then built this new build again this morning with the same hard drive.

Edited by Snooze10, 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm ok the old system did you use the video card you are using now?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
snooze10
In order that I might be better placed to offer advice would you kindly develop your reply to my post 7.
Perhaps you could itemize your response to match my points and also, I do not know if I am being slow, perhaps my colleague rshaffer61 has it clear, but I am afraid I do not.

Sorry I should have said I re-built the original PC while I waited on the replacement RAM. Installed XP yesterday (what I meant by clean), then built this new build again this morning with the same hard drive.

You build it
It does not work
you REBUILD IT - but only to replace the ram - is this correct please
It works - you install XP - ON THIS COMPUTER I PRESUME and did you the install the motherboard drivers, and/or update them from the Asus site
The replacement ram arrives.
Are you saying you then completely rebuild again
and if so, what about the original application of the thermal paste as you say you removed the CPU, so has this just been replaced without cleaning off and reapplying fresh

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hmm ok the old system did you use the video card you are using now?

No I don't think it would be compatible because it's DDR3. Here's my old system...

ASUS M2V-MX SE
DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
ATI Radeon X1300
DDR2 SDRAM 1024 MB
300W PSU

Sorry I missed that post Macboatmaster! I'll update this post ASAP.

UPDATE

I'm a complete beginner, learning as I go! So no offence will be taken!

1. The triangle on the edge of the CPU is placed in the same corner as the triangle on the MB.
2. I slotted it in carefully first time without any problem or resistance.
3. The CPU came in the box with a heatsink\fan.
4. There was thermal paste already on. I also bought artic thermal paste (in case the CPU wasn't already pre-applied).
5. Positive.
6. I have tried.

This is the exact ram i bought, specs are at the bottom.

I took my original PC apart until the case was empty (other than hard drive) and basically replaced everything with the new parts. It didn't work so I swapped everything back with the old parts and stored the new parts in their original packaging until the ram arrived. I then repeated the process and i'm back to it not working again. The original computer still works when built. I've not booted anything to work with the new CPU, Video Card, ram or motherboard.

I've taken every precaution to ground myself before handling any component.

Edited by Snooze10, 04 April 2012 - 12:05 PM.