Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build won't start.

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
OK is the hard drive in the computer.
If so take it out, or rather disconnect the sata lead to motherboard and the sata power to psu.
Then try and see what happens

Advertisements

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Same result.

I think the CPU is compatible with my old Motherboard. So I can give it a shot in that and see if it's working.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Just hold on that for a minute or two please

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here is Kingston recommend for your board
http://www.kingston....ard&Model=74569

If we cannot solve this, your best line of approach is to email kingston support and email asus support - raising a support ticket with Asus. to seek advice from them.
Thdere is no better adviser on ram than the motherboard and/or ram manmufacturer

Kingston do not list that ram.
However I am not suggesting that this would stop it posting

IF XP was installed on the OTHER computer it is very unlikely it will work on this one, as the chipset drivers loaded when XP was installed, the graphics etc are NOT the same.

My advice now is to see this
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

check your build against the advice and ALSO did you ensurewhen inserting, especially the main power connection to the board, that you supported the board, under the edge whilst doing so, the connection is freqnently requring of some force to connect and it is easy to damage the board

If you find nothing wrong there, checking against the guide and especially the usb headers to the front ports and the front audio connectors
then by the time you return I will have posted the next test

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here you go.

The purpose of this one is to ensure that there is nothing shorting on the case

Well, first, triple check to ensure you have not installed more standoffs in the case than the motherboard needs. Since cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards, they typically have more mounting holes than any given motherboard requires. So you MUST ensure you don't have an extra standoff under the board that may short out the board (and anything plugged into it).

You may consider assembling the computer outside the case first on a wooden breadboard or the like. You can start with the CPU, cooler and fan, graphics solution (if not on-board) with monitor, and 1 stick of RAM. No drives. You should see the boot process make it through POST, then halt when it cannot find a boot drive. If that works, then verify your standoffs, and install the motherboard in the case with your full complement of RAM.

Posted with ack to Digerati - Retired Staff - GeekstoGo

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK I'll give that a go and report back.

I feel like I've explored every other possibility. I submitted a support ticket to ASUS. Should have a reply from them within 48 hours. I guess if nothing seems to work I'll have to purchase some more ram to test (2x2GB?). What ram would you suggest?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No I would not do that YET
I would wait for Asus and Kingston.

I cannot believe it is both sets of ram

I have just read the full manual for your motherboard having downloaded it from Asus.

DID THE HOLES IN THIS BOARD match the holes in the other Asus board, this has eight securing holes and were the stand offs therefore in the same position.

Do not be annoyed - YOU have not by any chance, if they are NOT in the same place left a stand off in position have you that does not match the securing points on this board

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
All the holes seem to match, there are two stand offs and they both line up on the new board.

It's just frustrating! Massive thanks for helping me through it!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you look at section 1.5.2.of your motherboard manual the eight securing points for the board are three along the top edge
the middle of those three being next to a ram slot.
There are then three lower down the right of which is just below the main power connection
there are then two lower down the right of which is next to the power led and the left hand one immediately above a chip.

Those holes MUST match the posts screwed into the panel of the case - usually the motherboard tray.

THERE must not be any posts on the tray other than in the position of these holes.

I can only suggest you breadboard it, as explained and at the risk of saying it again check the connections.
the four pin for the CPU is the easiest, usually to orientate incorrectly, but you will see the clip securing point for the connector on the motherboard connection and the GND are the two LOWER pins and the +12 the two nearest to the top edge.

Good luck please do let us know how you progress.
If you can borrow a DDR3 ram stick that may be worthwhile, but I certainly would not buy another at this stage.
Just in case you have a faulty board.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Snooze10

It is some 14 days since we heard from you

I was wondering how you went on with the new build.

Please do let us know.

Snooze10

Snooze10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello! First off sorry for the delay in the update, but there really hasn't been anything to say. I'd tried everything suggested and anything I could think of. In the end I contacted Amazon for a replacement Motherboard, who then sent me to ASUS. ASUS initially replied with some troubleshooting guides, which included nothing that wasn't mentioned in this thread. They then went quiet for over a week until they told me a replacement wasn't an option as the product wasn't sold directly from the UK, but from Germany and that they don't do global refunds (or something like that). I went back to Amazon and they instantly sent me a new one... without me even sending the old one in. So now I have two of the motherboards! Also got a third replacement RAM during this time.

Today I put everything together again with the exact same result. Which leaves me thinking it can only be a faulty CPU or a CPU compatibility issue. Problem is I have no clue what BIOS revision is on the board or what BIOS revision is needed by the CPU. Planning on contacting Amazon for a replacement CPU tomorrow, but considering it took a month to get the motherboard replaced I should have time to try any further suggestions anyone might have.

I know the video card works.
I've tried 3 different RAM.
I have two of the motherboards to test from.
The CPU is still the original.

System still doesn't post anything to the monitor and gives one beep followed by 2 beeps closer together.

EDIT
Required BIOS Information, not sure how to find out what the Motherboard is currently using without being able to boot the system properly. Motherboard revision is 1.00, if that gives any indication.

Edited by Snooze10, 30 May 2012 - 06:34 PM.