Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No audio from YouTube, Google, etc.

• Please log in to reply

dennye

dennye

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a Velocity Micro desktop approximately 3 years old, with Windows Vista Ultimate, 64 bit. System is equipped with Creative Technology SB X-Fi Extreme Audio. I am unable to hear audio from YouTube, Google, other internet sites, although I get the system sounds, CD audio and iTunes audio and Skype. I have updated the driver, have checked the Wavemapper registry as suggested elsewhere here.

Would love to try any other suggestions. It worked fine until a couple months ago, and am unaware of anything that changed.

Thank you.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get adobe flash player and adobe shockwave player..
if you use firefox then go here and get the plugins for both

go to youtube do you get sound
if your still having trouble try uninstalling them and then download and reinstall them
nojoy
try the Shockwave & Flash Player troubleshooter guide here...
still nojoy...
you will have to run sfc /scannow

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Happyrock .. .. have plugins for both and still no sound .. .. uninstall/reinstall .. .. "no joy". Tried running sfc/scannow, however, I don't have the option to right click and indicate that I'm the administrator, so I get an error message that I have to be an administrator....thoughts?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
type sfc in the search box...right click on sfc.exe...select run as admin

Attached Thumbnails

• run as admin.jpg

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Obvy, there's something going on -- when I do what you suggested above, the black screen with the white writing flashes up for a nanosecond, and then is gone.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I suspect malware so...

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

if your still having issues after the malware pros give you a all clean...come back here and we will see if we can get it straightened out out

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Will give this a shot, and get back at ya.

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again,

Ran the OTL program, and saved the OTL log.....are you suggesting that I post the entire thing on this forum? It's many pages long. Obviously, I'm not a techie!

Thank you for your patience.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope...the logs go here...that is the only forum you can post logs to...

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you - posted the log there yesterday; will hope someone can help out! Here's another diagnostic that maybe helps. When I replay a video that I've posted on Youtube, the sound is fine. However, when I go to access a third party video on YouTube, no sound. Every once in a while, the video will play audio for a few seconds, then it distorts, then it's gone.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since you can hear what you have posted it doesn't sound like a hardware or system issue...
what browser are you using...
try a different browser

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've used Chrome and IE .. makes no difference. Same issue with both browsers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first go to add remove programs in the control panel and uninstall flash...then go here...top right side...get the newest version of flash and install it...try ie again

dennye

dennye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope - to use your phraseology .. "no joy"

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try running IE in safe mode...(no extensions)
Type iexplore –extoff in Start Search and hit Enter
try youtube
nojoy

another thing to try is create a new user admin user account...reboot into it and see if
you tube will work...if it does its some setting in the old account