Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

"MIE has encountered a problem ..."

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I can work smoothly for hours on my W98SE Dell Latitude laptop and then suddendly I get this error message:

“Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. …..”

Two options are offered: to send MS an error report; and do not send.

If I click Send I get a message that something was sent . (Not that I care but although I have done this hundreds of times I have NEVER heard any reply.

If I click Don’t Send, I get an error message ‘lexplore has performed an illegal operation and …”

Although an annoyance, I find I can just close the leplore message and drag the MIE message off the screen and I can continue to work.

FWIW, I do not even use IE (I am using Netsacpe 7.2).

This sequence of error messages can happen anytime but it seems that I can <always> trigger it by clicking a certain link contained in an email notification of a post in the GeekstoGo forum.

What is this message all about? Does MS really collect all these error reports I have sent? Any suggestions for eliminating the bug? Thanks much. …wdc

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you do not use IE you could consider turning error reporting off to see if it helps