Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need removal of part of a program that will not come off

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I need to remove a program "American Greetings Spiritual Expressions 6 Size 1:30 mb. My computer will not let me upgrade to number 7 because of this. The add or remove will not take it off.

I get the following message each time I try to remove it. "An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified. Is there a way to remove this so I can use my new Card shop? Thank you.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sharon Lee
You also posted this topic in our Malware forum here
http://www.geekstogo...l-not-come-off/

Please do not post the same problem in two forums.
It very easily leads to confusion, both for you and indeed for the people helping you, when two advisors, may both be posting advice on the same issue.

Additionally, there is nothing to suggest , unless you know differently, that this matter has on the evidence avialable at this time any connection with Malware.

Thank you, I hope you understand that the matter is mentioned only for your future guidance.

Now in respect of the actual problem, it seems appropriate that you should use one of the uninstaller tools.
However before I send you one, they are easy to use, but it is also easy to delete files that are needed in error.
My best advice, at the first stage is, if possible reinstall the Expressions6.
It is often a corrupted file in the installation that will itself prevent the UNINSTALL.

You must reinstall to the same folder and if the installer offers the option, as I do not know the program, of repair, select that and then select uninstall.

If the porgram has its own uninstaller use that.
If not try Add/Remove programs.

If this fails we can proceed to one of the unistaller tools, but as I said, it is BEST to try this solution first.

Also from the help site for American Expressions 6
Uninstall Spiritual Expressions® 6 (if needed)

NOTE: Back up any saved projects or address books before uninstalling Spiritual Expressions® or they will be lost.
  • Click Start, select Settings and click Control Panel.
  • Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
  • Find and then click American Greetings Spiritual Expressions 6 so that it appears selected.
  • Click the Add/Remove button. If asked whether to delete Shared Files, click "No to all."
  • Ensure that the Spiritual Expressions® 6 folder is empty by deleting any files that appear within the folder. (The default location for this folder is C:\Program Files\Broderbund\AGSpirit.)
  • Restart the computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
It won't take the program off. I get the same message as I got with the add or remove. (An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified.) Sorry about 2 different posts. My daughter was trying to help me and she did not think her question went through. I tried to put the American Greeting Sppiritual Expressions in and it would not let me install it. There was no place on the disk that had uninstall. The new card shop will not install either for it says I have to get rid of the American Greeting ....number 6 before I can install the new card shop. I am glad to see you on here. My daughter said there is no way I can install the new Card Shop. Thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then the next step is to reinstall the program and then try to use its own uninstall to get rid of it. :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
It will not let me re-install the program. We have tried and it tells us we have to take off Spiritual Expressions 6. But there is no Spiritual Expressions on this computer for I took the program off using the add or remove. The thing I have found out is that it did not remove the entire program. That is where the problem lies. My daughter has no patience with me on this machine. Yet, she could not figure out what to do either. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try to search for the remnants of the program. Go to Start then to Search
In there type in the name of the program and if it finds anything then delete it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

It will not let me re-install the program. We have tried and it tells us we have to take off Spiritual Expressions 6

Can you NOT reinstall the Spiritual Expressions 6 as I suggested in my post 2 -presuming you have the means to do that

My best advice, at the first stage is, if possible reinstall the Expressions6

and then when it is correctly installed use add/remove porgrams to uninstall it and then install the 7 version.

I think that is what my colleague rshaffer61 was referring to in his post 5. However he will I am sure confirm.

Whereas you seem to have interpreted it as

It will not let me re-install the program. We have tried and it tells us we have to take off Spiritual Expressions 6

an install of the 7 version.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I think that is what my colleague rshaffer61 was referring to in his post 5. However he will I am sure confirm.

Whereas you seem to have interpreted it as

Yep exactly right :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
We have tried to re-install Spiritual Expressions 6 many times before I came here.
I get the following message each time I try to install it "An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified." I also did a seach and the program did not come up on my machine. I went back to the "add or remove" and tried again and again to take it off. Same message each time. So where I am at is I cannot re-install Spiritual Expressions 6 nor can I get it off. I cannot install Spritual Expressions 7 because it says I have to take off what little of 6 is still on here. I have went to my old posts to see if there was anything that would help here. There really was not anything that I saw. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a thought but have you tried to install it through safe mode?
Is the installation disk for 6 genuine?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
No I haven't thought of tring to install it in safe mode but I can do that. Yes, it is orginal and I loved the card shop so I got 7 and wanted to update to that. We shall try the safe mode and let you know what happens. Do you think as my daughter does that I should not have a computer? Seems that lately I have had some trials on here. Thank you for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I went straight to the source and got the uninstall instructions from them. Please try this and see if it helps.

Deleting the Program

Close all programs and windows and return to the desktop.
Double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.

For Windows® XP, click Start and click My Computer.

Click View (Windows® 95/98) or Tools (Windows® Me/2000/XP) from the menu bar and click Options (Windows® 95) or Folder Options (Windows® 98/Me/2000/XP).
Select the View tab in the window that appears and locate the Hidden Files (or Hidden Files and Folders) setting.
For Windows® 95/98, verify the Show all Files option is selected.

For Windows® Me/2000/XP, verify the Display Hidden Files and Folders option is selected.
Locate the Hide File Extensions for Known File Types setting and ensure that it does not have a check before it.

If a check appears before this setting, click once on the checkmark to remove it.

Click Apply and click OK to accept the changes and close the Folder Options window.
Navigate to the drive and location where Spiritual Expressions® 6 is installed. Complete the following procedure to navigate to the default installation location.

Double-click the C:\ drive. The contents of the C: drive will appear.
Double-click the Program Files folder. The contents of the Program Files folder will appear.
Double-click the Broderbund folder. The contents of the Broderbund folder will appear.

Right-click the AG Spirit folder and using the left mouse button, click Delete from the menu that appears.
Click Yes when prompted to move the files to the Recycle Bin.
Click the Back button on the tool bar to return to the Program Files folder.

For Windows® 95, close the Broderbund window to return to the Program Files folder.

Double-click the Common Files folder.
Right-click the InstallShield folder and using the left mouse button click Delete from the menu that appears.
Click the Back button to return to the Program Files folder or close the Common Files folder.
Double-click the InstallShield Installation Information folder to view its contents.
Right-click the {8DD144C1-5EAD-4D55-80A1-ACAF893A4FFE} folder and, using the left mouse button, click Delete from the menu that appears.

If this sub-folder cannot be located in the InstallShield Installation Information folder, skip to Step 19.

Close all programs and windows and return to the desktop.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I did this 3 times and the folder Borderbound is empty but the file we want off is still there. Maybe, I should just let this go. I do know when you wanted me to download the Revo Uninstaller, there were several programs that it said needed to remove. I was not sure exactly what I should do there so I highlighted Spiritual Expressions and went on. Just don't want to remove anything I have to have. You as usuall have went to so much trouble to help. I am so grateful for that. I think I shall try to put Spiritual Expressions on my main computer and hope it does not take up too much room. Have a Blessed Easter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One other option Sharon is to contact the maker of the program either through a phone or through their website and see if this is a known issue. I'm still not willing to throw in the towel yet. Was there any other folders associated with the program that Revo found?