Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer exe has to close the memory could not be written to

• Please log in to reply

archie10

archie10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
okay here is the deal
I cannot get reimage till
next Saturday,although I have no more trojans
or viruses. I need several windows components replaced
because they are seriously damaged they are there but
but not good.
However I would request that you keep this topic open till
at least next Sunday, if you would I can at that point,
give you a comprehensive report as to the success or failure of
reimage.
From what I have gleaned from the internet
short of a destructive windows reinstall
this is the only option.
My comp although old is fine for my needs.
My sister wants to get me a new one.
I hate stinkos 7.
I don't want to beg the computer to run my apps nor do,
I want to back door them to get them to run.
I like xp got a small footprint and you don't have to do nasty stuff
to it to get it to run apps.
I had to uninstall pc pitstop it kept phoning home,and wanting me to up grade.
(lol was running poser and had to bail on it and when it closed pc pitstop was running a scan)
If I cannot set it to stop phoning home I don't want the sucker.(lol)

thank you very much for your time and effort
it is appreciated beyond measure
(really would like to finish this thread off with a success story)

Edited by archie10, 08 April 2012 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as we don't close topics in this forum unless it is a duplicated topic or a violation of the TOU. It will remain open regardless of how long it takes you to return. When you are ready just post and I will receive a email notification. Take your time and I will await your return. :thumbsup:

archie10

archie10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Reimage well the jury is still out:
It ran its course let it sit at reboot screen for ten minutes
nada forced a reboot now tada!
I cant get to the login screen, and the vaunted 24 7 support
they tell you of, well still waiting to here back from last night at mid night.
Since I cant get windows to do any thing ie get to a windows system restore point to do any thing
I am now here looking for help yet again.
Will not go to login screen. (stops dead at the xp logo and looks at you saying you want me to do what??)
Tried the the recovery disk, (lol)can not roll the system back since it wont load windows,
and now the data partition of my drive with 60 gigs of non replaceable data is hanging out in the wind
with no means of recovery lmao.

What I need is a stupid idiots guide as to how to install an actual working copy of Ubuntu
to my pen drive, not my hard drive the guide is as clear as mud to me.
Since my eyeballs are already spinning from 12 hours of trying to recover windows from the grave Reimage put it in.
My email is down because I cant get to it on windows.
I have to have my sister log in and retrieve my emails from her computer.
The pendrive version of Ubuntu wont save settings (like a ghost copy get to see all the gizmos but not actually
a working operating system)(pendrive has 32 gigabytes of room).

That being achieved I then need an application for Ubuntu that will run windows applications,
so I can attempt a recovery through the back door, to save my poser partition
that being transfered to to dvds, till I get this mess cleaned up yet again

A word of caution on Reimage:
Take your system down and run it in safe mode with networking, do not enter your license key in a normal windows set up
there is no abort once it starts its repair mode.(enter the last digit and it takes off zoom)
although it clearly states that it will take it into safe mode automatically (don't you believe it)
that being said...
thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What I need is a stupid idiots guide as to how to install an actual working copy of Ubuntu
to my pen drive, not my hard drive the guide is as clear as mud to me.

How about a Linux Live cd of any type?

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Secondly why did you do a re image and not a Repair installation as I suggested?
The system was in Windows till the re-imaging. Do you have a actual XP installation disk and not a recovery disk?

archie10

archie10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well after being down for a week,

The reimage tec took about 45 minutes and its fixed live session.
The reason I didn't do a repair was,
what do I repair according to the data reimage provided I had several parts of the windows
operating system in critical condition ie:
explorer exe vprotect since I did not have fresh parts to bolt on
I figured might as well get fresh ones.
reimage is well worth the money you spend support although slow is there.
and now it still boots the same and still delivers the same error.
lol I cant win what ever it is its in there deep.
and stupid question #1 would a dead bios battery cause the problems I am having ?
again thanks for your time it is greatly appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The image would contain everything including any issues you had when you did the image.
Repair would reinstall the OS replacing any damaged, corrupted or missing files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 25 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

archie10

archie10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes the problem still exits but have yet another bug to fix.
it seems i no longer have any video memory for my 7300 gt video card
so am currently searching for a suitable replacement
i cant win at this, it most likely a tiny script kitty stuffed in a file some where that executes
on boot as it is a script and not a virus it slides right through the virus scans
i still cannot save any settings nor can i install any drivers lol
thanks for your time if you think of any thing short of a disk wipe and a fresh install
let me know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again I suggest a repair installation and not a reimage installation.
Your image would have the possible issue still on it where a repair installation would hopefully fix the issue and ten you do a fresh image to keep.
You also could do a Parallel Installation which would put a second copy of Windows on your system and then move everything over to that installation as far as data.. Your programs would have to be reinstalled but the data would be safe.

Advertisements