Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

auto-numbering in several tables is out of synch

• Please log in to reply

dbrupp

dbrupp

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi, I first need to let you know that I am not a web developer, but I'm good a following directions. I have a business website that someone else created for me where I could post pdf attachments for customers to download and also sign up and pay for things right from the website.
When I login as adminstrator, the site looks fine: all of the different tabs (pages) are available, the .pdf attachments are available etc...but when someone from the outsite launches the website, www.playmakersfamily.com they don't see all of the tabs (one that is missing is called birthday parties) and they see "Access denied" on the home page.

The guy who build the website said it's a database corruption. He spent 8-10 hours on it before figuring out the auto-numbering in several tables is out of synch somehow and it would take a lot longer than that to fix it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there an easy way to fix it or something I need to know to fix it myself or have an amateur help with it (the amateur is a friend who has made 2 page websites through comcast. Thank you and sorry for all of my verbiage.

Advertisements

Nathan

Nathan

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Hi, I first need to let you know that I am not a web developer, but I'm good a following directions. I have a business website that someone else created for me where I could post pdf attachments for customers to download and also sign up and pay for things right from the website.
When I login as adminstrator, the site looks fine: all of the different tabs (pages) are available, the .pdf attachments are available etc...but when someone from the outsite launches the website, www.playmakersfamily.com they don't see all of the tabs (one that is missing is called birthday parties) and they see "Access denied" on the home page.

The guy who build the website said it's a database corruption. He spent 8-10 hours on it before figuring out the auto-numbering in several tables is out of synch somehow and it would take a lot longer than that to fix it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there an easy way to fix it or something I need to know to fix it myself or have an amateur help with it (the amateur is a friend who has made 2 page websites through comcast. Thank you and sorry for all of my verbiage.

Find the bit of code where it decides to give you access or not, and post it here.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
thank you for your suggestion. I'm looking in to this and will let you how successful I am at finding the code.

B!gB@ng

B!gB@ng

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi dbrupp-

It sounds like you're talking about an auto-increment problem with your table indexes. If you have access to the database with a GUI tool like phpMyAdmin, you can try to adjust the auto-increment value. Check out this post for more info: http://www.electrict...nt-value-mysql/.

You can also completely reset and re-instate the auto-increment function in the table by deleting the auto-increment column and re-creating the column with the AUTO-INCREMENT flag set. This will wipe and recreate the table index with proper auto-incrementing.

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
This ticket can be closed out. We decided to use an alternate route because we're making changes to our business and will need to do a face lift to the website anyway; so, are starting fresh. I hope you don't feel that I wasted anyones time. I much appreciate the help.