Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer has stopped working

• Please log in to reply

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello Nedklaw,

Safe mode acts the same, I am unable run anything or even access USB drive.

After following post #24 again I get a error "Explorer.EXE Class not regestered.

Advertisements

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hi. :)

• Boot up from the CD.
  • Navigate to (letter of your main drive)\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe <-- right click this file and select Copy.
  • Now navigate to (letter of your main drive)\Windows\explorer.exe <-- right click the file and select rename. Rename the file explorer.vir.
  • Now right click in an empty space in the Windows folder and select Paste. This will paste the explorer.exe file you copied earlier.
  • When done reboot in Normal Mode and let me know if the problem persists.

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Instructions followed but the error "Explorer.EXE Class not registered" is still there.

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Can I just ask what the letter of your main drive is when you boot up from the OTLPE CD?

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
This is what I see

B: shows as RAMDisk
C: System Reserve
D: Local Disk
X: ReatogoPE

The drive where all I copied the explorer.exe is D:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe

I then pasted it to D:\Windows

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
delete

Edited by therican, 15 April 2012 - 09:08 PM.

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
We'll give the file replacement one more go with OTLPE.

• Run OTLPE.
  • Copy the text in the code box below into the Custom scans and fixes box.
:Files
D:\Windows\explorer.exe|D:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /replace

:Commands 
[Reboot]
  • Let the program run unhindered and reboot your computer.
  • A report will be produced and saved in the C:\_OTL\MovedFiles folder in the form of Date_Time.log. Open that report and post its contents in your next reply.

Try Normal Mode now after the fix and see if it works?

Things I want to see in your next reply

• OTL Fix Log
  • Does Normal Mode work?

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
========== FILES ==========
File D:\Windows\explorer.exe successfully replaced with D:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe
========== COMMANDS ==========

OTLPE by OldTimer - Version 3.1.48.0 log created on 04172012_150758

Still a no go with normal mode. I get the same error "Explorer.EXE Class not registered"

Edited by therican, 16 April 2012 - 10:05 PM.

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Also the reboot command in the fix did not work. After about 2 hours I rebooted manually.

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
The file replacement was successful that time. We'll try with the attached copy in case the back up copy was also damaged/corrupted.

Step 1

Please ensure the attached copy of explorer.exe in post #24 is in the following folder: D:\Users\Zulainy\Downloads

Step 2

• Run OTLPE.
  • Copy the text in the code box below into the Custom scans and fixes box.
:Files
D:\Windows\explorer.exe|D:\Users\Zulainy\Downloads\explorer.exe /replace

:Commands 
[Reboot]
  • Let the program run unhindered and reboot your computer.
  • A report will be produced and saved in the C:\_OTL\MovedFiles folder in the form of Date_Time.log. Open that report and post its contents in your next reply.

Try Normal Mode now after the fix and see if it works?

Things I want to see in your next reply

• OTL Fix Log
  • Does Normal Mode work?

Advertisements

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Unfortunately the owner opted for a factory restore. So the laptop was just picked up. Thanks for all the help and I hope to see you in these forums in the future. Good luck.

Edited by therican, 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hi. :wave:
A reformat would have been my next step if the last file replacement didn't work.
I'll now post some advice on how to keep your computer clean in the future.

Installing an Antivirus Program

It is very important your computer has an antivirus program on it. Antivirus programs help prevent, detect and remove malware such as viruses, trojans, worms etc. Files and emails will be scanned as you use them, download them or open them. If a virus is found in one of them, the antivirus program will stop you running the file, email, program etc and therefore stops you from infecting yourself.
It is very important you update your antivirus program so it knows about new viruses, trojans, worms etc. If your computer is infected with a new infection your antivirus (not updated) won't think it's bad, it won't alert you when you run it and therefore, you get infected!

Here are some links to some free antivirus programs:

Note: Only run one antivirus program on your computer at any one time!

Updates

Windows Update - This site is a Microsoft site that will scan your computer for any patches or updates that are missing from your computer. You should check this website regularly to keep windows up to date. This will ensure your computer has all of the latest security updates installed on your computer and is secure from any known security holes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats.
It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

How to turn on Automatic Updates:

• Click on Start.
  • Right-click My Computer.
  • Select Properties.
  • Click on the Automatic Updates Tab.
  • Place a checkmark in the circle next to Automatic (recommended) near the green shield.
  • Click Apply > OK.

Posted Image
Adobe Reader - Your version of Adobe Reader is outdated. It's important to keep Adobe Reader updated because many security problems are fixed with updates.

How to check for Adobe Reader updates:

• Open Adobe Reader.
  • On the menu bar click on Help then Check For Updates.
  • The program will then tell you if updates are available.

Make sure you have the latest Adobe Flash Player (11.2.202.228) and Adobe Shockwave Player (11.6.4.634) so you can view all of the latest content on websites.

Make Internet Explorer more secure

• Click Start > Run.
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK.
  • Click on the Security tab.
  • Click Reset all zones to default level.
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level.
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Recommended Programs

Make sure you update your security programs regularly so they know about new infections so they can protect your computer against them.
Here are a list of programs/tools that I like to recommend to users to reduce the risk of infection in the future:

Anti-Spyware Programs

MBAM - MalwareBytes Anti Malware is an excellent tool program to detect and get rid of malware. This program should be updated and run often.

SpywareBlaster - Prevents spyware from installing on your system and stops you from getting infected. It protects against bad ActiveX and immunizes your PC against them.

SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place. It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
Note: Make sure you are only running one real-time anti-spyware protection program (eg: TeaTimer, Windows Defender) or there will be a conflict.

Alternate Browsers

Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. Hijackers like to attack Internet Explorer more than FireFox. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from here.

Add-ons

NoScript - Blocks ads and other potential website attacks.

AdBlockPlus - Adblock Plus gets rid of ads and banners on the internet.

DrWeb Anti-Virus Link Checker - Allows you to check any file you are about to download, any page you are about to visit with online version of Dr.Web anti-virus.

Other browsers include:

Google Chrome
Safari
Opera

Other Programs

WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
Green to go.
Yellow for caution.
Red to stop.
WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

IE-SpyAd - Puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all. It prevents Cookies etc from downloading, from these websites, onto your computer.

MVPS Hosts File replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated. Its important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

Google Toolbar - Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop ups.

Finally...

Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.
Good luck and stay safe!!! :thumbsup:

therican

therican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks again Nedklaw.