Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online backup experience

• Please log in to reply

paulmarkj

paulmarkj

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have used two online backs services - Meemopal and Carbonite, but both suffer from problems that make them unusable.

Memopal: I backed up 200Gb then deleted 170Gb, Memopal says I have 205Gb in the backup. After months of emailing Memopal, pointing out errors in log files and sending snapshots they admit they have a 'small' problem but three months later they still haven;t fixed it. (Some directories are completely empty yet Memopal says they have 4Gb in them!)

Carbonite: I started using this service yesterday and after 24 hours of it saying it is 'backing up' it also says 0% complete (out of 30gb). It has been backing up the same 790kb file for over an hour.

So, can anyone recommend an online backup service that actually works?

I use Windows 7. My internet connection is generally fast (I record speeds over 25gb regularly).

Advertisements

leonidus2012

leonidus2012

• Pip
  • 3 posts
dropbox works great for me

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try Cloudberry: http://www.cloudberr...ine-backup.aspx

I expect Microsoft will also offer a cloud backup service when Windows 8, and Server 8 is reaches general availability status.

halexkrian

halexkrian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am currently using the Carbonite back up software. I had seen one among such type of problems. The back up softwares are really necessary for providing backup for our files, documents,emails,video's,and websites. The Carbonite backup is one of the best online softwares available. My friend's system doesn't support the format of this software, but I had no problem yet. We have to follow a sequential procedure for installation such as format, configuration and many others.Day-to-day development, many latest versions with more features of backup softwares are available.

Edited by SweetTech, 29 July 2012 - 02:55 PM.
removed spammy links from post.-ST

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
for Carbonite, to backup the amount of data you have will take about 3 weeks to 2 months for the initial backup to occur. Crash Plan is another highly rated backup service. Takes about the same amount of time for the initial backup. Backblaze is also rated highly and people that use it report very fast backup times.