Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer crashing, especially when playing videos

• Please log in to reply

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Computer Error Screen

Computer running Windows XP Professional has been crashing on a regular basis for months, especially when video is playing, even more especially when video is playing full screen. However, it also crashes fairly regularly w/o any video playing and for no apparent reason.

Usually there is a blue screen with white writing on it for a split second before the screen goes dark and the computer then reboots automatically. When it first boots and when it reboots, a box with the following message always appears:

smax4pnp.exe – Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetOpMode could not be located in the dynamic link library SMWDMIF.dll

One time in the process of crashing, the blue screen with white writing “froze” and I was able to copy what was on the screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_Less_OR_Equal

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this sis a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A
(0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x806E5EAO)

End of Screen Image

any thoughts on what might be causing the problems described above and how to eliminate them would be much appreciated

thanks

David

Edited by DavidinSF, 06 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Please download this and run the program and then click the analyse tab.
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

WHO CRASHED - free edition
Scroll down please as instructed for the results and copy those please and paste them as the actual resutls.

Would you please paste all that I ask for and not attach them as files that I have to open. Thank you

That is Sound Max connected with your audio drivers.
smax4pnp.exe
Would you please go to device manager and check for any warnings against any devices.
Device Manager is right click my computer on the start menu and click properties, then click hardware tab and then the device manager button.

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your Help!

Here are the results:

System Information (local)

computer name: KIM-PC
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 3756437504 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2033717248

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 4/6/2012 7:03:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini040612-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0xEA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFFFFF806E5E9F, 0xFFFFFFFF8055134C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion
1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Thank you did you check device manager for me.

2. If there are NOT any warnings please do this

Open My Computer right click C drive, click properties, click tools, click error checking
click check now
click to check the second box, check for file errors already being checked and you are going to check the one - check for bad sectors.
Click Start
Agree the message to run on restart and so please

Now go
Control Panel admin tools
event viewer
click application in left pane
click the source heading to sort into order
go to winlogon entries
open to find chkdsk results from that check
click the double page symbol below the up and down arrows
right click to paste

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so that you do not miss it.
Please post make and full model if branded.

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
My computer is unbranded

Devices check

I checked all devices and found the following that did not come up with the message “this device is working properly”:

Device Message

Direct memory access controller No drivers are installed for this device.

High precision event timer No drivers are installed for this device

Motherboard resources No drivers are installed for this device (3 separate devices; same result)

Numeric data processors No drivers are installed for this device

NVIDIA nforce PCI System Management No drivers are installed for this device

PCI standard RAM controller No drivers are installed for this device

Programmable interrupt controller No drivers are installed for this device

System board No drivers are installed for this device

System speaker No drivers are installed for this device

System timer No drivers are installed for this device

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which devices have a red or yellow warning against them please
Rather than exapanding each one and checking which have no drivers installed.
Some devices do not have drivers installed

So when you open device manager = on the left hand side are there entries against which is a red or yellow warning

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As it is unbranded I presume it is a desktop
When did you last open the case please and check for dust build up on the fans and the fins of the CPU cooler.
Are you familiar please with this procedure OR do you require additional guidance posting.

I am in the UK and it is 2325hrs I will be signing off in 30 minutes
Could you reply please to this post and then I will give you guidance if necessary on this and something else I would like you to try, for when I come back online about 1800 hrs Saturday

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
There is something called "Other devices" under the NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator that has a yellow question mark next to it. If I click on "Other devices" I get two unknown device sub directories, also with yellow question marks next to them,

I clicked on details for the first unknown device and got: ACPI\AWY0001\2&DABA3FF&0

for the second unknown device I got: ROOT\LEGACY_WMIAPSRV\SOFTWARE

to answer your other question,I am sure there is lots of dust on the inside of this computer

thanks

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes -- it's a desktop

I'm in San Francisco and will be leaving town in about 2 hours, returning this coming Tuesday,so won't be able to deal with this computer until my return once I have left

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. I think you should backup to an external drive if you have one, anything on your computer that you wish to ensure is SAVED and secure.. I am of this opinion just in case it crashes completely and then you have difficulty in doing so.

2. Please check the build up of dust inside the tower (case) especially on the CPU cooler and the fans.
A soft brush - and a cotton bud are ideal.
Do NOT use the household vac.
Brush and dislodge the dirt to the base of the case and then remove it.
BE gentle so that you do not dislodge components and do not touch any components with your hands, without taking anti-static precuations.
Take hold of the bare metal inside of the case with both hands to discharge static in your body.
This link will help you
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/
Although it is about building a computer there are clear images of the inside of one and the cpu cooling fins are clearly visible and the case fans.
The CPU is on the motherboard and is shown on image 16 from the top. (not numbered)
It has the black coloured fan and the aluminium fins underneath the fan.

3. When you have done that go back to device manager, open those entries by double clicking on them and then click the driver tab.
Then click install driver or update driver whichever is available.

4. Then run the chkdsk I posted details of on my post 4. - whatever the results of step 3, and post the results please.

I will resume whenever you can, when you return Tuesday.

If possible before you leave for your trip, I would secure your data, the rest can wait until you return.

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have already secured my data and will do the computer cleaning on Tuesday -- one thing I did not yet mention is that I use Carbonite.com, a cloud based backup system -- I noticed that my computer seemed to crash much more readily when Carbonite was active, so I have disabled it for some time now -- do you think there could be a connection between using Carbonite and the computer crashing?

Thanks for all your help -- I wish you a pleasant weekend!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is always possible but I would doubt it the errors tend more to indicate to indicate I think, either a driver incompatbaility or corruption of the files or possibly a memory issue.

When you return we will check the memory after you have checked for cleanliness

DavidinSF

DavidinSF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I cleaned the computer of dust. Then I went to Device Manager –which is under Computer Management, which in turn is under Administrative Tools, which in turn is under Control Panel -- and methodically went to each and every device and elected to update the driver. The result in most cases was “the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware”, so there was no update.

There were voluminous updates made to Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. I was initially unsuccessful in updating NVIDEA GeForce8800 GTS512, but it did eventually update.

My real problem was trying to update NVIDEA Network Bus Enumerator. I got the following message: “an error occurred during the installation of this device -- access is denied . Cannot install the hardware”.

Long story short, my attempt to update NVIDEA Network Bus Enumerator severed my internet connection – at least via the Ethernet cable connecting my Netgear modem to my desktop computer. I had perfect wireless connection all along to a netbook I have. I was finally able to reconnect my desktop to the Internet only after rolling back the driver on NVIDEA Network Bus Enumerator. My computer is still crashing.

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Then I went to Device Manager –which is under Computer Management

There are numerous ways to get to device manager

You may also get there the way I told you
Start, right click My Computer, click Properties, on the window that opens click the hardware tab and then click the device manager button

Was there a build up of dust.?

and have you run the chkdsk