Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to unhide HIDDEN FOLDERS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.
I have drive c partitioned so that there is also drive d = my data base & personal files; drive e = external hard drive.
In Windows, I have gone to folder options and made sure that all hidden files are shown; also all system files are shown.
I can see the files and folders on drive d & e; but when I check the individual folders on d & e, by right clicking on "Properties", they are all marked as read only and hidden. I would like to get rid of the "hidden" attribute. How??

The "owner" of both d & e = "Everyone."

Thanks
Paul

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
How to Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7 or Vista

Windows 7 or Vista hides important files and folders from view to keep users from deleting or otherwise modifying files they shouldn’t...

To show hidden files, just click on the Organize button in any folder...top left side and then select Folder and Search Options from the menu.

Click the View tab, and then you should select Show hidden files and folders from the list.

uncheck it and click OK

If you are trying to get into the Windows directories, you might want to also remove the check from Hide protected operating system files

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks for this.
But everything there is already set to the options of show....both folders, hidden files, and system files. That is what puzzles me. Yet the files are still listed in the folder attribute as "hidden". For example, if I want some folder to come to the start menu, I can get it there; but it won't show up, because it is still "hidden"!

Any other clues?

Thanks
Paul

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
type cmd in the search box...right click on cmd.exe in the results box above and select run as admin

at the prompt...
Enter the command cd directory you want to remove the read only attributes from...
for example if I wanted to remove read only attributes from my d drive the command would be

cd d:\

· then Enter the command attrib –R *.* /h
note the single space before the /

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i do not see search at all. I went to the start menu, cusotmize, and search is checked; but it does not appear on the right of the programs.

but at run, I typed in cmd.exe, and I get the dos prompt. It comes up as C:\Users\Paul>
if i type in cd d:
nothing happens, it goes bakc ot C:\Users\Paul>

thanks for your help, and I'll try what you next suggest.

Paul

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
In Windows 7 you will want to just type the drive you want to change to. Example below
C:\Users\Paul>d:
D:\>
From here you should be able to follow Happyrock's instructions
Hope this helps
:thumbsup:

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks!
i can now change to drive d
but when i type in attrib –R *.* /h i get "invalid switch /h"

next??!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A number of infections will hide files like this... have you been cleaning up an infection? If so one of our malware staff might need to give you a hand.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

"invalid switch /h"

it needs to be -h

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I typed in attrib -R*.* /-h
and got the reply "invalid switch -h

what do you suggest?

Thanks again.
Paul

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i have kind of given up on getting the partitioned and external to undo the hidden files.
I moved my external to a computer with Windows XP. i see that some fo the folders on the external are hidden, others are not (that is, the attribute is set to hidden or not-hidden).
I ran cmd.exe and typed in attrib -R *.* -h
This went by. But no change in the folders.

How can I undo the attribute of everything on the external?

I will also post in Windows XP in case this is not the right place now.

Thanks.
Paul

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I

will also post in Windows XP in case this is not the right place now.

yep...more eyes looking at this the better

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Happyrock is correct there is a malware that causes icons and folders to be hidden. Would be best for you to work with the malware staff.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Actually I said that! :lol:

paulsiam I have moved your new thread to the malware forum - even if it is not caused by malware after all, it is common for an infection to make files hidden - thus the malware removal experts are very experienced in getting this resolved.

Regards,

Troy