Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving Data to My 16 GB Thumb Drive

• Please log in to reply

thailen

thailen

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I want to copy my Downloads and Documents to the thumb drive, but clicking on copy and paste isn't doing it. Nor did dragging the folder. I just can't drag or copy the individual files - I have over a hundred downloads, for example. There must be an easy way to do this. Help!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Ctrl + A to select all the files in a folder, then create a new folder on your USB drive, and Ctrl + V to paste all. Wait for transfer to finish.

Just as a note, thumb drives are not a very reliable backup method. They fail often, and with little chance of recovery. You might want to consider an online cloud backup service. Windows Live Sky Drive gives you 5GB free. There are also other services like box (5GB free), dropbox (2GB free) and Amazon AWS. These can also be set to automatically sync your files so they are always backed up, accessible anywhere, and always up-to-date.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happened when you dragged the folder to the flash drive?