Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

WishBone

WishBone

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello,

So I was thinking of upgrading my RAM from 3GB to maybe a good 8GB. I'm pretty sure that would be more than what I need. I play a lot of games and I work on stuff and constantly multi task. Sometimes my machine even lags due to the many windows that I open simultaneously.

Before I decide to buy a good stick of RAM, I'd like to know what I'm looking for exactly. I don't want to just buy two 4gig sticks and plug and play and maybe regret that soon after. I'd like to know what to tell store keepers when I'm in there buying.

I have an EMX-MCP61P-AVL motherboard, Kingston 99U5316-028 .A00LF and Kingston 99U5429-007 .A00LF. Currently it's 3GB total and I have 2 slots on my MOBO. In my understanding, the best upgrade would be 8GB. I don't want to go over since that would be too much RAM and it would be useless.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

As far as I can gather, Your Mobo only supports Max 4GB x DDR2 RAM.

To confirm this, go to the Motherboard manufacturers web site, example, Asus, Gigabyte, and look at the RAM specifications.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You might give this a try first.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

WishBone

WishBone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hi.

As far as I can gather, Your Mobo only supports Max 4GB x DDR2 RAM.

To confirm this, go to the Motherboard manufacturers web site, example, Asus, Gigabyte, and look at the RAM specifications.

I did here. Quoted from the Special Features tab:

Dual channel DDR2 800
Supports dual channel DDR2 800 memory architecture with high bandwidth of up to 12.8 GB/s and shorter memory accessing latency thus delivering the greatest memory performance.

May I ask where you got the max 4GB from?

@rshaffer61 I did the scan and I don't trust it that much. I only have 2 slots available on my MOBO but the scan showed I had 4 available slots and Max Memory showed 8GB. However, it only gave me 4GB kits max.

Edited by Cashes, 10 April 2012 - 12:54 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Here is the web page for the Motherboard you listed, http://www.emaxxtech...ducts.php?id=10
Dowlad the user manual.

Supports dual channel DDR2 800 memory architecture with high bandwidth of

up to 12.8 GB/s

and shorter memory accessing latency thus delivering the greatest memory performance.

12.8 GB/s =

Gigabit, and is used mostly to denote data transfer speed (internal or network)

1 bit = 1 or 0
1 byte = 8bits
1 megabyte = 1024 bytes

This is very simplified, but you will get the idea.

Think of your RAM as a tank, on your Mobo it can hold a maximum of 4GB. One pipe feeds DATA to the CPU, The size of the pipe donates how much information can be passed in a given time, on your Mobo it is

12.8 GB/s

There would be little improvement gained by going to 4GB.

WishBone

WishBone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes I see that. I guess I will have to completely build a new machine from scratch if I wanted updated hardware and a fair 8GB RAM. Thanks for the help anyway. I'll stick with my 3GB RAM for now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Consider optimizing your system. Looking at your other posts, I think you have XP installed,, if so, this is a very recent guide, http://home.comcast....OptimizeXP.html, see if it will help.

I suggest you always do a manual System Restore Point, before each step.