Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Monitor, keyboard, or mouse on start-up

• Please log in to reply

LCK

LCK

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi -- Need some help on a Gateway GT4016 with three memory sticks -- Machine belongs to a friend and I think it is about 4 or 5 years old running XP.

He said it was giving him a couple of blue screens and now that I have it, the machine will not boot with a signal to the monitor and the keyboard and mouse are both dead. On start-up, only the two fans run. If the power is unplugged from the wall, I get a momentary flash on the keyboard on the first start-up after plugging back in. Also on start up and turning the machine off, the monitor displays a quick "no signal" message.

My initial thought was the PSU -- I put in one from a good machine, although a little less powerful, and nothing. I took the bad machines PSU and it powers the good machine without problem.

On the machine not booting properly, I swapped the batteries -- still nothing. Also drained the power from the machine by holding in the power button for 30 seconds.
I removed the power from each device one at a time and then tried to reboot -- still nothing.
When I remove the memory sticks -- no beeps (not getting beeps on any start).
Re-installed memory sticks one at a time, rebooting after each insert -- still nothing.

Not sure what else to check or is the machine "toast"? Do to the age of the machine I doubt they want to much into it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a dead motherboard from what you have described. Have you tried the kb, mouse and monitor on a known workign system and if so do they work? :whistling:
If so then I would say it is the motherboard. :(

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I suspected a bad motherboard, but was trying to think more positive. Yes, the Monitor, keyboard, and mouse all work on another machine.

Thanks for the quick response and I'll pass the bad news on to my friends..........

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You possibly may be able to rebuild if you can find the same motherboard or one that will take the same memory and cpu. :thumbsup: