Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much RAM would you suggest?

• Please log in to reply

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Have you considered the time and cost of adding the additional cooking fans to the Shinobi[?]

"The Antec 300 was our previous favourite but, thanks to better design, cooling options and versatility; this is now the case to buy if you want quality without breaking the bank."

PC Pro - August 05, 2011

If me I would choose the windowless version and cooling fans without LEDs.

NB: Off to check your other topic now :thumbsup:

Yes, I was actually looking at Newegg's prices for adding additional fans and I'd be willing to take the time and extra coin to make sure the case is properly vented...and perhaps get a neat fan controller too. ;)

Hmm, that quote is interesting. I always thought the 300 would have more/better cooling options. (though they could be talking about the number of fan placements rather than actual airflow etc.)

I'm also in the same boat as you, the windowless model appeals more to me just because I'm not really partial to windowed systems as I don't really see the point save for perhaps checking to see when it needs internal cleaning. The windowless one looks more elegant in my opinion and with the addition of a few fans I think it would work very well and look good doing it. I figured if I went with the windowless Shinobi I would purchase these and not worry about a bottom fan. I find it odd that the windowed version comes with more fans by default but I don't consider it to be a huge issue. Alternatively I'd buy that aforementioned fan set as well as two 14cm fans to go on top, that way I'd have fans for all placements plus one extra since the rear fan is already installed.
I also read an announcement by BitFenix (though I can't remember what website it was on) that they're going to be upgrading the I/O panels on a few chassis in the product line to come with USB 3.0; so instead of four USB 2.0 ports, it would have two 2.0 and two 3.0. The Shinobi was on the list of cases to receive this upgrade but its product page does not yet reflect this change. If I go with the Shinobi (which currently is most likely given how much I'm talking about it XD) I'll probably contact BitFenix to make sure that the upgrade has already been made so that the unit I order will have it.

Edited by Roentijen, 08 April 2012 - 05:23 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
You seem decided on your case and cooling now which is good - I also see the same good points of the windowless Shinobi as yourself.
Good luck with your build, I will keep in touch with your progress at your other topic.

Roentijen

Roentijen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
You seem decided on your case and cooling now which is good - I also see the same good points of the windowless Shinobi as yourself.
Good luck with your build, I will keep in touch with your progress at your other topic.

I am really digging the Shinobi case. Though I'm still deciding whether to just get that set of four 12cm fans and not worry about the bottom mount or if I should also get a couple of 14cm fans to use on the top and put one of the 12cm fans from the 4-pack on the bottom. Do you think that the bottom fan would be necessary? And if not do you think that 12cm fans would be fine for the top mounts or should I go with the larger 14cm fans?

EDIT: I'm gonna try and keep my non-RAM questions in the other thread, but since this is an off topic board I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Edited by Roentijen, 09 April 2012 - 03:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
For max cooling large front induction and large rear exhaust fans are a must, adding slightly less powerful additional fans is a bonus, the tidier your internal cables are the better as this reduces turbulence and allows hot air to be more easily expelled.