Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU problem?

• Please log in to reply

Dasaco

Dasaco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings,

I decided to build a computer by myself. Here is my hardware:

Graphics card:
GeForce GT 440 / PCI-E 2.0 / 1GB GDDR3 / 128-bit

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

HDD :
WD CAVIAR SE16 320GB SATA2 16MB

Power Supply:
ATX 500W 12 cm

DVD-RW:
SMG DVDRW 22X SATA

Processor:
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo

So I have put all together and tried to turn it on, so I have 2 problems:

1. It is not turning from first time, I have to press it 4, sometimes 6 times and it is turning on.

2. When computer is turning on, all fans are spinning (case fan, psu fan, gpu fan), so it seems to work ok, but I have no display on my monitor.

I have plugged in monitor, I'm sure. I calculated that 500W is enough for my hardware. Tried to reinstall RAM. Tried to reset CMOS (by unplugging bios battery for 10 or 20 minutes.

When I push the start button, or it will just not turning on, or lights and fans turns on for 1 second, after 1 second fans stops turning and lights turn off and after that OR computer starts OR computer power button just blinks and nothing, it will not turn on again until you replug the power cord.

When it starts, the computer's speaker is starting to short beep very quickly, it won't stop beeping until you turn it off.

It is turning on 1 time from 10 tries.

Is this the PSU problem?

If you will need some more details or more pictures just ask.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you very much for you help and your time ;)

PSU:
Posted Image

Some hardware photos:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also I tried it with another front panel and it was the same, turning on only after pushing it multiple times, so it's not wrong case wiring:
Posted Image

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Dasaco

It could be the PSU but it may also be a bad MB (including a short etc) Ram and possibly a bad keyboard.
Can you provide your Ram details, brand, model and amount please.

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare-bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

Dasaco

Dasaco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I'll try that :)

And I will post here more details about hardware witch you asked for

Thanks for fast and big reply :thumbsup:

Edited by Dasaco, 11 April 2012 - 10:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok thanks and you are welcome :thumbsup:

NB: An example of MB header pins (pwr sw) that need to be shorted in order to activate the PSU;